A key challenge in power plant design is the need to integrate many different systems. As we explore ways to accelerate the realisation of societal and economic benefits of fusion power through the first generation of fusion power plants, we must establish greater integration between physics, technology and engineering. This requires further growth at UKAEA to exploit its new capabilities, creating exciting opportunities to be part of a highly skilled, multi-disciplinary team driving to deliver fusion power.
To meet UKAEA`s needs, we have a number of Materials Science & Engineering opportunities available
– Materials testing & characterisation
– Materials chemistry
– Corrosion, including in nuclear environments and hydrogen
– Hydrogen isotope separation & barrier materials
– Joining, manufacturing & non-destructive testing
– Materials in extreme environments, e.g. radiation, temperature
– Functional materials, e.g. superconducting, dielectric and optical
– Integrated computational materials engineering
– Regulatory aspects of materials, including codes & standards
We are looking for a range of materials scientists or engineers who have experience in either nuclear or other high-tech sectors. Ideal candidates are motivated, inquisitive team players who can take multi-disciplinary problems, perform appropriate investigations and provide innovative simple solutions.
The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
For further information on why UKAEA is a great place to work please review our recruitment video via the following link:
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
Knowledge skills and experience
– Relevant experience working within a materials discipline
– The ability to work in a matrix organisation
– Good communication skills
– A desire to achieve results
– Innovative with ability to solve problems and push technical boundaries
The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
Related Jobs (15)
Head of External Communications – updated working patterns on August 4, 2020 Permanent
Deputy Head of Corporate Communications – updated working patterns on August 4, 2020 Permanent
Head of Macroeconomics and Demand Forecasting – G6 on August 4, 2020 Permanent