- Job Reference 4414
- SALARY & BENEFITS £55,610 - £62,197 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
- Job Level Management
- INDUSTRY SECTOR Engineering
Do you have extensive experience in delivering projects in complex environments?
Do you want to lead on software projects for varying purposes?
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within the (UKAEA) UK Atomic Energy Authority specialising in remote handling and automated systems.
RACE needs talented Software Product / Project Management professionals with a proven track record and, as the Software Product / Project Manager, you will manage software development and technology integration projects focused on developing remote handling systems for the next generation of power stations and also to support the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry.
Reporting to the Group Leader, the main responsibilities of the role will be the delivery of complex technical projects from conception to delivery. This will include:
- Providing leadership on projects from conception to delivery in line with UKAEA technical management systems and project governance, including regular reporting and proactive stakeholder management of internal and external customers
- Accountable for establishing robust project plans and proposals and for delivery of work to plan and budget
- Own the creation and management of the roadmap, the priorities of the features and requirements of the product as well as the testing and validation of the development
- Work with industry and academia to develop partnerships for development and exploitation of software
- Manage trials and product launch activities, co-ordinating with other groups
- Providing leadership and oversight to plan and manage projects, particularly budget spend and resource planning ensuring the execution of overall strategy and delivery of objectives
- Ensure project SHE and quality culture meet all current and emerging UKAEA requirements whilst being responsible for signing off the work of others in area of specialism
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in remote handling and materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Extensive experience as a Software Product Manager or in a related role. This should include experience working directly with software engineering teams
- Proven leadership experience through a track record of success in project management of delivering complex technical projects to budget, time and cost milestones in an engineering background
- An engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- Demonstrated experience working with agile software project management
- Knowledge of software development, testing and deployment techniques, tools and processes
- An understanding of the stages of a software products lifecycle
- A proactive approach to safety, with a good appreciation of UK compliance requirements in design
- Professional project management qualification
- Experience working with both industry and academia
- An understanding of open source software licensing models
- Experience of working with software which interacts with hardware
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received
- Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role
– Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions