- Job Reference 28961
- SALARY & BENEFITS Salary £35,389 - £59,299
- Job Contact Duncan Henderson
- Contact Email CDCTP.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Level Senior Executive Officer
Are you an experienced Senior Business Architect with a strong background in strategic level business analysis? Are you looking to join a major transformation programme delivering a new business architecture across the spectrum of people, process and technology? If so, this could be the new role for you.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is the UK’s largest producer of official statistics, covering a range of key economic, social and demographic topics. These include measuring changes in the value of the UK economy, estimating the size, geographic distribution and characteristics of the population, and providing indicators of price inflation, employment, earnings, crime and migration.
The Census and Data Collection Transformation Programme (CDCTP) will not only deliver the UK’s 2021 Census, it will also transform how the UK collects data across the business and social sectors. Working within the Business Architecture and Requirements branch, you will provide high-level design services, such as business architecture design, service integration mapping and assurance of design changes, to one of the UK’s government’s most strategically important programmes.
As a Senior Business Architect, you will be a key component of the Design team helping to shape the ‘Business Design’ from a people, process and technology perspective. You will play a lead role in articulating the transformational aims of CDCTP, statistical design and will be committed to continuous improvement and optimization. Your role will involve defining the business design via a set of models which will describe the operations of Population and Public Policy. You will work with stakeholders across ONS helping to define and govern the delivery of CDCTP aligning with the ONS Enterprise Architecture. This role has a strong corporate focus, driving collaboration across ONS to a range of stakeholders. The Design Team works with Business Analysts and projects to design configurable business services and processes to identify the high-level requirements to support them.
Analytical thinking, understanding the bigger picture and the impacts of design changes and communicating complex concepts in an easily understood manner are core skills to effective business architecture.
- Ensure that detailed requirements and design are aligned to High-Level Design and overarching needs of the operation;
- Define improvements to the High-Level Design through collaboration with stakeholders across ONS and in the application of a broader digital perspective;
- Lead, understand and communicate the big picture while working to assure the overall goal is maintained in the development of the High-Level Design and its application;
- Be responsible for engagement with programmes and projects, promoting the Business Architecture and Business Analysis to ensure that plans / solutions are aligned to our design and key performance measures;
- Define scope whilst shaping and challenging business priorities and value through collaboration;
- Work with ONS Enterprise Architecture and Business Analysis teams to deliver a holistic view across these disciplines, ensuring consistent processes, standards and working practices are adopted;
- Deliver at pace using agile methodologies and principles;
- Assist decision makers in gathering information to make informed decisions;
- Promote a culture of assurance and security;
- Actively participate in the Business Architecture community and boarder communities to refine and develop standards, working practices and sharing of knowledge and understanding;
- Travel to other sites will be required
- Contributes to the creation and maintenance of the future operational design and identifies the impact on operational services;
- Proactively leads the completion of architecture definitions across a range of projects ensuring that projects and development teams abide by its principles and are actively involved;
- Responsible for investigative work into problems and opportunities in existing and new services;
- Ability to use a wide range of techniques to model situations confidently and with agreement from subject matter experts and stakeholders;
- Leads others to innovate in their work as well as innovating in their own;
- Proficient in communicating with delivery projects to ensure they have a complete understanding of the business and user needs. Make sure end user perspectives are fully considered;
- Has a working knowledge of organisational and wider government strategic objectives and ensure that solutions are aligned with key priorities. Be alert to changes in strategic direction and assess the impact of change.
It is essential that you have either :
- an ISEB diploma in Business analysis or Solutions Development;OR
- Experience of business and systems analysis working on at least 2 medium or large agile, project-based environments, including identification of business benefits, deconstructing user needs, business process modelling, requirements capture and prioritisation and co-ordination with other teams.(Please select yes if you have either or both of the above)
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Changing and Improving
- Generous holiday allowance – 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service in addition to public holidays;
- Good work-life balance – working options include flexible working arrangements Monday to Friday between 7am and 7pm;
- Strong ethos of equality and diversity;
- Up to 3 days paid leave per year for voluntary opportunities;
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and statutory paternity leave of 2 weeks plus an additional week of departmental paternity leave all at full pay;
- Highly competitive contributory Civil Service Pension;
- Career development and progression – Career pathway options such as apprenticeships and recognised qualifications for a variety of professions are available;
- Free onsite car parking in Newport and Fareham;
- Cycle to work scheme.