Join us in London as a Lead Product Designer in the Digital & CX team . Reporting directly to the Head of Experience Design, in this role you will be responsible for the design of end-to-end Product experiences for our customers and leading a team of Product Designers.
We’re looking for an experienced designer and team leader who is a true customer advocate. You will have a proven track record in the application of user-centric design techniques to create brilliant products that achieve customer and business goals.
As Lead Product Designer you will be an expert practitioner. You will be hands on in this role, whilst also being comfortable taking a lead role in facilitating engagement with a wide range of stakeholders as well as line managing, mentoring and coaching others.
You will be well versed in applying a range of human-centred design methods to solve complex problems and facilitating cross-functional teams to design new and optimise existing products. You will be comfortable leading the product design process end-to-end and working within an agile cross functional team in partnership with Product Owners and Tech Leads.
Comfortable facilitating and a natural team player, you will be able to effectively collaborate to engage both customers and Product teams, helping them understand the customer problem that is most valuable to solve and then working together to find the best way to solve that problem. Commercially savvy and insight driven, you understand how to incorporate the right balance of qualitative and quantitative insight into decision making, and able to demonstrate the impact of the solution on business outcomes.
Your role is strategically important, influencing the way we work to design our products and bring together the customer experience across the portfolio. Your influence will be key to the success of our strategy to Make Britain’s Driving Life Better. You will work closely with senior stakeholders such as the Product Director, Product Owner, Tech Leads and SMEs so you will be naturally a strong storyteller, with strong technical understanding.
As part of a team of Product, Content and Research Design leads you will help shape the way we work going forward, contributing to our principles, best practice and frameworks such as design systems to help support the team to deliver a coherent experience at every touch point with the AA.
As a manager, you’ll lead by example. You’ll help us grow, mentor and develop a team of designers. You will appreciate their diverse skillsets and encourage them to challenge and raise their own standards. This is a growing team, and you will be expected to recruit the best design
What will I be doing?
- Inspire colleagues, up to Director and Executive level, about the role of Product Design and Customer Experience and the value it brings across the organisation to our customers and to the business
- Set the standard for Product Design at the AA, educating and coaching teams in taking customer centred, outcome focused approaches to problem solving
- Work closely with senior stakeholders, product teams, content specialists and insights teams to ensure alignment
- Set direction, working hands on and with agencies to assure efficient and effective delivery of experiences
- Ensure that teams take a user-centred, evidence-based approach to product design and development.
- Mentor other members of staff in product design approaches and help raise the influence of human-centred design as part of the wider CX team
- Run and lead design workshops such as problem framing, design sprints and the like
- Build the influence of product design within and outside the organisation
- Support the design team to work towards a single coherent vision of the customer experience with appropriate principles, frameworks and tools
- Represent The AA design team with third parties and agencies, including review and sign off of design outputs
- Oversee design across several scrum teams, championing our agile processes and ensuring that the team is delivering high quality customer experiences
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Proven record of leading Product Design in agile cross-functional teams, with experience working client-side for a large organisation
- Experience in a Lead Product/Experience Design role, with a solid background in human-centred design and design thinking
- Experience as a facilitator, with demonstrable experience applying a range of methods from Design Thinking to Design Sprints
- Strong visualisation and communication skills, able to articulate the end-to-end user experience for customers and bring cross functional teams and stakeholders along the journey with you
- Experience working with analytics teams to derive data to drive design decisions and benchmark impact
- Solid experience working end-to-end to understand the right thing to design right through to designing the right thing to deliver value to customers and business
- Solid portfolio of previous work, demonstrating customer centred approach and commercial impact of design work, as well as final crafting of design outputs
- Experience of coaching and mentoring colleagues
- Skilled user of common design and collaboration software such as Miro, Axure, Sketch, Figma, Zeplin, Invision
- Knowledge and understanding of how to apply qualitative and quantitative design research methods
- Able to understand, analyse and use data to guide design decisions
- Self-starter that takes the initiative to generate new ideas, bring people together and improve ways of working
- Excellent communicator, driving valuable conversations with technical and non-technical colleagues across the business
- Comfortable working at a strategic and conceptual level
- Genuine interest in people, keen to lead and develop a team, helping them to achieve their goals
- Passionate about user-centred design, and the impact it can have on people’s lives
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It’s very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.