The AA’s strategy requires data to be at the heart of the organisation and embedded in decision-making capabilities and innovation. The Data Tower is pivotal to that realisation having group-wide responsibility for the curation, delivery and business education to enable exploitation of data assets across the group. We are on a journey, backed by significant inward investment, to modernise and streamline our data estate to achieve these goals and modernise our ways of working…and we need great people to help us achieve that.
This is the job
As the Head of Data Engineering you will define and improve data engineering best practices and standards and ensure adherence to these. You will provide ongoing technical direction and mentoring to Engineering team as part of building our state-of-the-art Engineering capability
In addition, you will provide supplier management to our partner testing function, ensuring that the relevant strategy is adopted, and standards implemented
What will I be doing?
- Work with the Data Tower leadership team to ensure standards and activities are aligned to the Data Tower plans and business priorities. Oversee data engineering improvements and advise on new products/ propositions where required
- Champion and work to the AA standards of development, following the appropriate development methodologies for new and existing data warehouse solutions, including Waterfall or Agile.
- Define the development standards and promote a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring adherence to the Data Tower strategy and roadmap, and intervene if delivery is at risk/compromised
- Working closely with Architecture & Delivery team to de risk delivery both from cost & quality perspective
- Drive the development of the Engineering function including setting up objective, career paths, hiring engineers & establish ways of working
- Provide inputs into the roadmaps and delivery plans including providing high level estimates and identifying technology risks
- Actively contribute to the Data Tower work prioritisations activities, including, but not limited to, providing review of low-level designs, associated development requirements and their impact on the systems, best practices,
- Work closely across the IT department in organising and creating an environment that makes data and information accessible to the business
- Drive adherence to internal AA coding standards, including comments and documentation
- Promote a culture of accountability and continuous improvement within the team of Data Engineers and wider development teams, support integration and co-operative working style of cross-functional teams, and ensure delivery is governed effectively to time, cost and quality
- Oversee data development improvements to the data platforms and products/propositions and intervene if delivery is at risk/compromised
- Ensure all data solutions pass robust testing and meet the expectations/needs of the business
What do I need?
- Able to both lead and mentor direct reports as required
- Significant experience in data engineering and managing associated technical teams
- Extensive experience in technical framework development and a strong track record of enforcing best practice in line with such frameworks
- Able to combine rigour and discipline with a pragmatic approach to deliver the highest quality, cost effective solutions within set timeframes
- Experience and understanding of secure development frameworks, engineering operating models, and cloud engineering especially on Azure
- Experience of standing up a data analytics platform on Microsoft Azure using technologies like IICS, MS Azure HDInsight, Databricks, SQL Server, SQL DWH, Azure Synapse, Event Hubs and other Azure services
- Exposure of data governance, data cataloguing and data lineage using tools such Informatica Enterprise data catalogue, Axon business glossary, Informatica Data Quality
- Familiarity of concepts of design thinking, DevOps and CI/CD
- Proven ability to understand and relay complex data-related issues in a simple and easy to understand manner; demonstrating expertise in big data technology infrastructure and environments coupled with business process architecture.
- Demonstrable experience of managing upward communication to Senior Stakeholders Management with both verbal and written communications
- Demonstrable experience of leading teams of varying sizes and locations, managing performance issues and providing regular feedback within a structured performance management process
- Demonstrable experience of managing IT service risks and leading the implementation of changes to mitigate or address the risk
As a valued member of our team, you’ll have access to a range of fully supported development programmes, designed to help you progress in your career with us. Whether you’re looking to grow in your current role, or learn new skills and take on greater responsibilities, we can help you build the career you’re looking for here.
We’re always looking to recognise and reward our employees for the work they do. Here are just a few of the benefits you’ll have access to, as part of our team:
- Discounted home and motor insurance
- Half price AA breakdown membership in your first year and free after 12 months, along with a 50% introductory discount off breakdown cover for 12 months for up to 5 friends/family members.
Plus, so much more!
Good conduct matters to us. Our teams are motivated by doing the right thing for both customers and colleagues, and in line with our values, we ask all our employees to act with honesty & integrity and respect for others at all times.
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from anyone regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age
Related Jobs (28)
Product Engineering – Hardware & Mechatronics Undergraduate on October 8, 2021 Fixed Term Full Time
Planning Administrator / Assistant Engineering Planner on October 15, 2021 Full Time Permanent
Product Engineering – Electronics & Complex Systems Undergraduate on October 8, 2021 Fixed Term Full Time
Product Engineering – Electronics & Complex Systems Graduate on October 8, 2021 Full Time Graduate
Product Engineering – Hardware & Mechatronics Graduate on October 8, 2021 Full Time Graduate