As England’s independent regulator of qualifications, examinations and assessments, Ofqual’s job is to maintain standards, to make sure that qualifications accurately reflect the knowledge and skills people have attained through a range of different learning methods. We work with other Civil Service departments across the spectrum of education to deliver on our priorities and to ensure the best possible outcomes for learners in England.
We are looking for a Director of Policy and Evaluation to join the Vocational and Technical Qualifications directorate. This is a critical role at the forefront of leading our strategic programmes of qualification reform. In addition, the post holder will have oversight of policy development and our work to evaluate the quality of Vocational and Technical Qualifications (VTQ).
As one of three Directors, you will report to the Executive Director of VTQ. You will have three direct reports, with responsibility for teams of up to 30 people.
You will have excellent stakeholder management and interpersonal skills, with demonstratable experience of building influential relationships with a range of people at all levels. Strong leadership skills are essential to this role, to get the best out of the team and support their development and growth.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the development of the initial VTQ regulatory strategy for key groups of qualifications, connecting into and helping to shape wider corporate strategy.
- Provide oversight of the development of VTQ policy and the VTQ aspects of the Ofqual regulatory framework, ensuring coherence with General Qualifications.
- Provide oversight of our VTQ design, development and evaluation programme of work.
- Anticipate and provide oversight of key strategic programmes, for example, Ofqual’s role in technical education reform to time, cost and quality.
- Build, maintain and continue to develop our strategic partnership with the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education and other key agencies.
- Advise the Department for Education on developments in relation to the regulation of VTQs and the development of new programmes, acting as one of their main points of contact.
- Provide overall leadership of the VTQ Policy, VTQ Design & Development, and VTQ Strategic Programmes teams, and play an important part in supporting the strategic leadership of the Directorate and Ofqual as a whole.
Ofqual is a rewarding, dynamic place to work. The team strongly encourages flexible working and personal learning & development.
Diversity and Inclusion is important to us.
We actively encourage applications both from those within the Civil Service and outside. We particularly encourage applications from those of a BAME background and those with disabilities, who are currently under-represented within Ofqual at this level.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Interested in an informal and confidential conversation about the role? If so, please contact the recruitment team on email@example.com. We would love to hear from you.