As an Architect you will be an integral member of the Architecture team in the Data Tower, working closely with the business and other areas of IT. You will take responsibility for defining and maintaining the Solution and Data Architecture that support domain(s) within the AA organisation e.g. Insurance, Roadside, Road Ops, Digital etc. You will ensure you act as the Data Tower representative of architecture for your domain, translating domain strategy and delivery requirements into architecture designs which can be iteratively developed in an agile framework. The designs will represent business and data requirements for small and large change relating to AA data platforms. The work you do will ensure solutions are correctly designed, delivered and tested generating positive business value.
What will I be doing?
- Work with key domain stakeholders to create and then own the Data Tower data and solution architecture. More experienced candidates will actively contribute to the Data Tower architecture roadmap that aligns to the enterprise data strategy
- Act as the Data Tower architecture representative for a particular domain to ensure there is clear ownership and communication regarding architecture decisions to the domain stakeholders, design and approval forums and the Data Tower leadership team
- Work with stakeholders, Project Managers/ Agile Delivery Managers/ Scrum Masters and Business Analysts to understand the data and MI reporting requirements (functional and non-functional), benefits, effort estimations. More experienced candidates will be commercially aware and actively identify and propose the most cost-effective solutions
- Provide support, where required, to the Business Analyst(s) when working with the business and the Product Owner(s) to understand business requirements, including provision of support to refine and clarify the requirements
- Produce data and solution architecture designs in the form of logical data models and high-level designs (HLD) and blueprints for Data Tower landscape (level 0 and level 2 (application-level)), highlighting business processes, data flows, data quality, cleanse and standardisation procedures, data integration patterns, principles and exceptions, risks and assumptions, transformations, business rules, data definitions and KPIs. Work closely with Business Analysts, Data Analysts and Designers to support translating business requirement and high-level design into low-level design (LLD), generating Physical Data Models (PDM), and detailed system requirements that can be traced back to the original business requirement
- Obtain Design Decisions e.g. Design Authority sign off, lead on business rule definition and documentation
- Provide technical support to Business Analysts to elaborate user stories and acceptance criteria where required
- Define and manage data models that support data warehouses within the AA
- Define and manage any non-functional requirements regarding infrastructure specific to data warehousing or data services, sizing of databases. More experienced candidates will actively
- Contribute to solution considerations related to database storage, processing, network, licencing, and security
- Analyse and estimate the effort required to create high-level design documentation for each discrete piece of work, including task breakdown and estimation
- Define and implement Data Management best practices within defined processes and ensure compliance through oversight of design and development activities
- Provide design oversight for Data Tower owned application changes across the technical ecosystem
What do I need?
- At least 3-5 years of working experience with data warehouse and business intelligence-related architecture
- Previous experience in a data or solution architecture role working specifically in an environment where you must provide input into data warehouse solutions design and data modelling activities. More experienced candidates would be expected to have led solution designs or data modelling activities
- Demonstrable experience in database design and data modelling (3NF, Dimensional, De-normalised/Analytical, Conceptual, Logical and Physical) using modelling tools (preferably ER Studio)
- Excellent knowledge of Data Warehousing Design Methodologies, preferably experience in Insurance domain including policy operational systems
- Excellent knowledge of Database Design and Modelling
- Experience in working as part of data delivery teams using multiple delivery methodologies, incl. Agile, Hybrid Agile, Waterfall
- Working knowledge of ETL/ELT technology and tools, such as SAS DI or Informatica PowerCenter, including cloud technologies and migrations (MS Azure, AWS, Google Cloud). More experienced candidates will have hands-on experience working with cloud technologies
- Hands-on SQL experience for the purposes of interrogating data. More experienced candidates would be expected to have performed at least one role where programming was an integral part of their responsibilities
- Working knowledge of data quality, cleanse and standardisation methods, techniques and tools
- Proven ability to understand business processes, use cases and identify exceptions
- Proven knowledge of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (preferably Pega CS and SAP)
- Proven knowledge of Marketing applications (preferably Pega Marketing, Aprimo and BlueVenn)
- Proven knowledge of BI reporting tools such as static reporting, analytics, and visualisation tools
- Experience with a wide array of data tools and technologies such as Oracle, Teradata, SAS, SQL, Redshift, Oracle Autonomous Analytics Cloud, OBIEE, Looker, Python, R, Notebooks, Tableau, etc.
- Experience working with software vendors, system integrators and contractors in multi-disciplinary teams
- Hands-on Data Analysis skills. More experienced candidates would be expected to have held Data Analyst role in the past
- Ability to understand and relay complex data-related issues in a simple and easy to understand manner
Education and Qualifications:
- Preferably degree qualified in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Technology, Statistics, Information Systems, or any other related field. Preferably a Master’s Degree in one of the above; or else extensive relevant professional experience
- Reflects and exhibits the AA Brand Values – Courtesy, Care, Expertise, Dynamism and Collaboration
- The individual will be able to work effectively under pressure and apply a logical approach to their ways of working
- Requires a diligent, data-driven individual who is committed to improvement, a confident and engaging communicator
- Exceptional ability to convey complex messages in a clear, simplified, and understandable manner
- Proven problem-solving skills to identify the root cause of defects/issues and translate business requirements into technical designs
- Strong team ethos to collaboratively work within a cross-functional delivery sprint
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It’s very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.