We are currently seeking to broaden the membership of our Audit and Risk Assurance Committee (ARAC).
The committee supports Historic England’s Commission and the Accounting Officer in their responsibilities for maintaining sound risk-management, control and governance arrangements. The Committee meets at least four times a year in central London.
We are seeking an independent member to join the Committee to ensure Historic England continues to maintain an excellent framework for corporate governance, financial and internal controls and accountability, including risk analysis and management.
The successful candidate should demonstrate/have the following:
- a recognised professional accounting qualification (e.g. ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, CIMA)
- significant experience in a public finance role and of public financial management
- substantial financial, audit and risk management experience at a senior level – within a Governmental or an Arm’s Length Body environment would be preferable
- an ability to promote sound corporate governance and management of risk within Historic England, including scrutiny of the Annual Report and Accounts, financial processes and internal controls
- an ability to operate effectively as a Committee member and to provide independent support, guidance and constructive challenge on matters referred to the Committee
- an understanding of Historic England’s work, the environment in which it operates and a commitment to its aims and objectives; and
- sympathy with the overall aims of Historic England in protecting the historic environment and handing on our national legacy of historic buildings and places to future generations.
Historic England recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, particularly those from underrepresented groups including women, disabled people, and ethnic minorities. We particularly welcome applications from those based outside of London and the South East.
How to apply
Please apply by sending a covering letter/email and CV to governance@HistoricEngland.org.uk including ‘ARAC’ in the subject line of your message.
In your covering letter/email please briefly outline (in no more than 250 words for each) these areas:
- Why being a part of Historic England’s Audit and Risk Assurance Committee interests you
- The skills, knowledge and experience you possess that are specifically relevant to your application
The deadline for applications is: midnight on Sunday 23 May 2021.
Interviews will be held (via video conference) on: Tuesday 8 June 2021.
Please note that these positions are not remunerated, although all reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
Appointments are made by the Chairman of Historic England following appropriate interviews and in line with the Government’s seven principles of public life (The ‘Nolan Principles’).
We regret that those candidates who are not shortlisted will not be given feedback.
Related Jobs (21)
Curator, Contemporary Programmes [Temporary Cover – Part Time] on June 15, 2021 Fixed Term