The REP invites applications for this fantastic new role in our Audiences and Media team as we begin a journey of re-build and transformation. The successful candidate will play a key role in amplifying an exciting portfolio of prestigious projects including; The Rep’s 50th anniversary season including new world premiere productions of musicals, comedies and new writing across our three performance spaces.
Working in a busy, exciting and fast-moving press and marketing office, you’ll be adept at creating engaging and impactful communications for a multitude of target groups that promote and profile the work of The REP in an imaginative, exciting, relevant and inspiring way. You’ll be able to craft relevant stories and messages from across the spectrum of charitable and commercial activities that are the lifeblood of The REP and build awareness of and support for its work amongst all its stakeholders.
Birmingham is the most diverse core city in the UK and our location means over 4 million people can access our theatre within 45 minutes. The opportunities to tell our story, reach new and diverse audiences and increase our income are limitless and would particularly suit an ambitious, creative thinker.
You will want to get to know Birmingham and its people first-hand and will be a passionate advocate of theatre being for everyone regardless of background. Celebration of the city in all its rich diversity will be evident in all your narratives, both internally and externally.
Press and PR
- Devise and deliver effective and targeted communication campaigns that positively amplify all the REP’s productions and activities to local and regional audiences.
- Work with our national press agency to deliver profile-raising national and industry press campaigns for season launches and new productions.
- Run the press office function, including writing press releases; pitching stories; responding to photo and media requests; setting up interviews; circulating press cuttings and keeping accurate records of press coverage.
- Lead on the development and delivery of all press events including photo calls and press nights.
- Manage and cultivate press and media contacts, maintaining good relationships with a broad range of arts, news and regional outlets and actively seek media and digital opportunities to help our campaigns reach new and diverse audiences.
- Lead on the delivery of effective corporate PR that profiles The REP as an ambitious organisation that is national and international in its reputation and reach, whilst being rooted in its city locality
- Ensure that the Senior Management Team are aware of any relevant news or information in current affairs and arts media coverage, ensuring any opportunities arising from such coverage are exploited.
Digital and Content
- In conjunction with the Marketing Manager, own the REP’s social media platforms establishing a tone of voice representative of our ambitious plans and recent rebrand, and grow our engagement and profile.
- On behalf of the marketing team keep up-to-date on trends, developments and latest thinking around social media and digital communications.
- Liaise with the REP’s Arts team, co-producers and visiting companies on generating creative and good quality content to support their productions and work.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the REP to develop content for both press and digital channels, showcasing the achievements of Arts, Creative Learning, Fundraising and FOH departments.
- Continually seek opportunities to leverage the profile of The REP through its position in the city and for its incredible talent
- Commission production photography and videography as required and within agreed budget.
- As part of the Audiences and Media team, deliver the Marketing Strategy and Audience Development Plan, which enable The REP to meet its artistic and strategic objectives in line with the Business Plan.
- Take an active role in campaign planning and delivery creating effective communications to meet the audience and sales targets of each campaign.
- Develop imaginative and engaging communications that help to address the under-representation of specific communities and help us reach our ambitious audience goals.
- Continually monitor sales and ensure communications practice responds to sales and booking trends
- Develop strong and supportive relationships internally –with the Artistic and Executive Directors, senior management team, board, trustees and staff
- Profile and promote the work of The REP through developing contacts and stakeholder groups, ensuring you are a valuable, visible, advocate for The REP in all those places
- Create communications that support the re-positioning of the brand and tell The REP story using a language which is relevant and inspiring
- Contribute to the creation of a brand personality for The REP
- Adhere to and implement the guidelines, procedures and policies of the company as detailed in the staff policies (available from the staff intranet).
- Play a role in the life of the company and work across departments to develop a positive and engaged organisational culture
- Be aware of, and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to Health & Safety at work and abide by the procedures set out in the Health & Safety Policy.
- Be aware of, and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to data security, and GDPR, at work and abide by the procedures set out in the Data Protection Policy.
- All staff are expected to demonstrate an understanding of, and adherence to, our safeguarding policy, including a duty to report any issues of concern.
- Any other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities which are appropriate with the level/nature of the role on a permanent or temporary basis in accordance with business needs and subject to training and support.
This role forms part of the Audience and Media Team. You will be managed by the Marketing Manager and work alongside the Marketing Officers and Marketing Assistants.
This structure may change from time to time based on business need, but reflects the broad areas of responsibility
- Director of Audiences and Media; Marketing Officers, Marketing Assistants, Arts, Creative Learning and Fundraising team members.
- Creative teams, production staff and performers for REP productions and co-productions
- Staff groups, forums and trade unions as required
- National PR support
- Local and regional press contacts
- Visiting touring companies
- External agencies
- Providers, suppliers and vendors
- Users of the theatre and the public
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent contacts across a wide variety of media, including national press, and ability to leverage these in a timely fashion for the benefit of The REP
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to nurture and build effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively and empathetically with creative professionals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills – in particular the ability to write in different styles for different audiences and with the requisite attention to detail
- Ability to spot and craft creative and inspiring stories that connect and resonate with target audiences
- Knowledge of current affairs and the ability to position the work of The REP in relation to these where appropriate – connecting the theatre with them in a way that’s relevant, engaging and reputation enhancing
- Excellent digital skills and strong awareness of digital trends; especially confident and current in digital opportunities
- Proven track record working in communications
- Demonstrable experience of working in a press office or media environment
- Experience of working in a target driven culture and creating communications that drive sales, attendances and income generation
- Experience of using communications to enhance brand positioning
Education & Training
- Degree level or equivalent experience
- Positive approachable and empathetic in dealings with people at all levels
- Personal credibility and influence to operate effectively at all levels
- Sensitivity and discretion
- Commitment to engaging positively and enthusiastically with the city of Birmingham and its people
- Commitment to furthering diversity, inclusion and representation practice in all aspects of the job in a way that is tangible and measurable
- Experience of working in a producing theatre
- PR/ Marketing qualification & evidence of continued professional development
Terms & Conditions
Period of work
This is a permanent position, subject to 3 month probationary period.
Up to £26,465 dependant on experience; pro-rata if part-time.
5 days per week.
Some evening and weekend work may be required. You will not be paid for any overtime but time off in lieu may be agreed at line manager’s discretion
20 days per year plus 8 public holidays 1st September to 31st August each year.
Location of work
Your main place of work will be The REP in Birmingham, but you may be required to work temporarily at other locations locally. You may be asked to work temporarily in other locations in the UK. Your role may involve some international travel.
Contributory staff pension, 5% employee and 3% employer
Free-to-use employee assistance service
Staff ticket discount
Staff discount in The REP food and drink outlets (when available)
The REP is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone can be themselves and succeed on merit. We guarantee interviews for candidates from under-represented groups who met the requirements of the job description.
The REP are committed to creating a flexible working environment where everyone we can be their best whatever their circumstances. We actively encourage applications for job shares and flexible working and will make every effort to accommodate these requests.
The REP is committed to safeguarding, and operates an environment where all staff are expected to report any concerns about vulnerable people, or about the behaviour or practice of colleagues and other people they come into contact with.
Job offers are subject to:
- Receipt of 2 satisfactory references
- Proof of eligibility to work in the UK
- Role appropriate background checks
To apply for this post please send your CV or a completed Application form explaining how your skills and experience align with the job requirements as well as your E&D form to email@example.com.
Data from your diversity monitoring form will not be shared with the recruitment panel.
If you would like to request any adjustments to enable you to apply for this post or to fully participate in an interview, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 9 April 2021 at 9am
First Interviews will be held via Zoom on Tue 20 and Wed 21 April 2021 and will be competency based.
Please read the job description carefully before starting your application to ensure that you meet all of the essential criteria and are able to provide evidence in your application to support these areas. Only relevant information will be considered when shortlisting candidates. There is a separate document attached which provides more detailed background information about The REP, our vision and our exciting journey ahead.
In line with GDPR, your application will be retained securely for 6 months before being destroyed if you are unsuccessful.