Are you an internationally recognised senior research physicist with excellent communication and influencing skills?
Do you have a proven ability to lead research teams in plasma exhaust, as well as substantial experience with SOL transport codes like SOLPS?
The UK Atomic Energy Authority have an excellent opportunity for a senior SOL modeller to join their team within the Edge Theory Group. The team consists of around 10 employees and is responsible for interpreting and predicting tokamak edge physics on present-day and future machines. The successful applicant will provide a leading contribution to our general understanding of exhaust physics in tokamak fusion devices, and in particular within the novel divertor of MAST-U (the UK`s spherical tokamak). This is an excellent opportunity to join an inclusive and collaborative organisation, based in one of the leading Science and Innovation campuses in the UK, the Culham Science Centre.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include
– Lead running and developing codes to understand the exhaust physics on MAST-U as part of the key strategy of Tokamak Science in particular SOLPS
– Train and develop less experienced colleagues in their use of exhaust physics codes
– Lead teams supporting aspects of the boundary plasma parts of the research programmes on STEP, MAST-U and other tokamaks supported by EUROfusion, including JET and MST1 devices
– Act as an expert in plasma physics, providing advice and input for colleagues. Support experimental investigations by providing expert theoretical insight and/or numerical modelling
– Present and publish work as a lead author in the international fusion community, to develop fusion energy and to enhance the reputation of UKAEA in the field
– Act as scientific co-ordinator for theory and modelling tasks internally or internationally
– Be responsible for building a strong network of external collaborations
– Supervise and develop placement and PhD students
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the Organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
Job Ref: 4692
Job Title: Senior SOL Modeller
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £51,565 – £55,446 + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 16th October 2020
Knowledge, skills and experience
– Ph.D. or equivalent in physics, engineering or a closely related discipline
– Proven ability to conduct independent research and lead research teams
– Substantial experience with SOL transport codes, for example SOLPS
– International reputation and strong publication record in a relevant area
– An excellent team player with an outward-facing work ethos as he/she will work closely with scientists around the world
– Excellent oral and written communications skills
– World class knowledge of theoretical and experimental scrape-off layer and divertor physics
– Significant expertise in fluid and/or kinetic modelling of plasma physics
– Significant post-doctoral research experience in the theory and modelling of magnetically-confined plasmas
– Experience supervising PhD students
– Likely to have chartered status and fellowship of a professional body e.g. CPhys and FInstP
Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
– As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite
– Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received
– Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews
– The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role
Related Jobs (20)
Food Engineer / Shift Engineer – Mechanical (Manufacturing) on November 25, 2021 Full Time Permanent
Infrastructure Engineer – IT Security or Identity Management Team on November 17, 2021 Full Time Part Time Permanent