Join our School of Art in an exciting opportunity as a technical demonstrator for polymers in the 3D program. You will be working alongside the academic team and workshop manager you will organise, prepare and deliver technical inductions and demonstration and provide technical resource support for the academic needs of students and staff.
- Provide specialist professional advice to all students, ensuring their understanding of skills and applications are met.
- Organise and administer in consultation with the Workshop Manager, technical services in the workshops and to provide technical support for the academic needs of students and staff using these workshops.
- Ensure that safe codes of practice are maintained, and current Health and Safety guidelines are adhered to in order to make your work area a safe place for staff, students and visitors
Your skills and experience should include:
- An in-depth knowledge and the ability to be confident in a wide range of techniques working with Polymers including: Expertise in forming, manipulating and fabricating polymers including acrylic, polycarbonate, nylon etc by using recognised techniques including thermoforming, turning, milling, pressing, dying and gluing.
- Experience in the construction of multi piece moulds using a variety of materials including; silicone rubber, jesmonite, alginate, modroc and GRP, building block moulds and skin moulds for complex forms. Casting of a wide range of plastics including; polyester resin, bio resin, epoxy resin. jesmonite and polyurethane, including finish of cast objects.
- Experience of recycling polymers and the associated techniques including; processing and reforming.
This post is part-time, 15 hours a week and is fixed term for approximately 12 months to cover a period of maternity leave.
Further details: Job Description
The University is committed to an inclusive environment which embraces equality and diversity in our working, learning, research and teaching environment. We particularly encourage applicants from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) background because the university is underrepresented by BAME staff.
Further information about working for us, as well as the wide range of benefits we offer, can be found in the working with us section of our vacancies page.