- Job Reference 32397
- SALARY & BENEFITS £35,389 - £59,299
- Job Contact Rachel Clarke
- Contact Email email@example.com
- Job Level Senior Executive Officer
- Do you want to work in an open, autonomous and user-centred agile environment?
- Are you motivated by working on the latest scalable digital technologies?
- Are you looking for a career that will allow you to continuously develop yourself & others?
- If so, this could be the role for you.
Come and join the IT revolution at ONS!
We are driving transformational change through new technologies and ways of working in a modern, technically focused, data driven organisation. We’re offering you the opportunity to work on the latest scalable digital technologies to deliver a wide range of services across ONS, which includes scaling up to deliver the 2021 Census, the highest traffic service in government with over 25 million users and migrating ONS to the Cloud.
Our teams are highly driven and collaborative, with cutting edge technologies and career development fundamental to everything that we do.
You’ll have the opportunity to use your technical expertise, gained through current, hands-on involvement in developing real-world systems, and excellent interpersonal skills allied with the ability to quickly develop strong working relationships in high pressure environments. You’ll get to help evolve our architectural standards and policies, and work with the architecture community to refine and develop our IT and data roadmaps and strategies.
You will be part of a team that will shape, develop and implement ONS Infrastructure solutions including the development of hybrid cloud, IaaS, PaaS, virtual desktop infrastructure, CI/CD pipelines, virtualised networking, storage solutions, data management platforms and the software Defined Data Centre.
You will also be engaged in a wide range of activities, from breaking down complex problems and identifying steps towards solutions, through to coaching individuals and engaging with non-technical people at all levels of seniority.
- Leading the design and development of solutions, considering user needs, re-use, data management, resilience, performance, scalability and security in a micro service based approach to service orientated architecture.
- Leading the coordination of solutions between multiple development teams and products, ensuring knowledge is shared between them.
- Identifying and minimising risks in IT architectures and data management through the application of standards and policies.
Recent experience of designing, developing and implementing enterprise wide solutions using one or more of the following technologies:
- PaaS: e.g Kubernetes
- Big Data Systems: e.g Cloudera
- VMWare: e.g ESX, NSX, VDI, SDDC, VRA, VROPs
- Corporate networking [LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi, data centre, software defined networks, telephony, Identity Services etc] based on Cisco and Juniper technologies Linux and/or Windows Server and desktop systems • Office 365 and/or Office 2013.
- Orchestration: Ansible; Nifi
- CI/CD Pipelines: e.g. Jenkins; Artifactory
- All fundamental elements of hosting and consuming cloud technologies, including: design, planning, security and compliance, integration, provisioning, cloud storage, virtualisation
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to:
- Architecting and developing IT solutions, taking into consideration user needs, re-use, data management, resilience, performance, scalability and security in a service orientated approach.
- Acting as the technical authority in prospective, information gathering and scene setting meetings with other government departments, evaluating technical proposals from external suppliers, and making implementation recommendations to senior stakeholders.
- Leading the rapid development of research driven prototypes to identify technical options that inform architectural approaches.
- Supporting members of development teams in breaking down complex problems and identifying steps towards solutions.
- Coordinating solutions between multiple teams and products, ensuring knowledge is shared between them.
- Participating in the ONS architecture community to refine and develop the ONS IT and data roadmaps and strategies.
- Promoting a culture of assurance as you go and actively contributing to the evolution of ONS architectural standards and policies.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
- We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Skills relevant to the role will be assessed at interview.
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll enjoy:
- Generous holiday allowance – 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service in addition to public holidays;
- Good work-life balance – working options include flexible working arrangements Monday to Friday between 7am and 7pm;
- Strong ethos of equality and diversity;
- Up to 3 days paid leave per year for voluntary opportunities;
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and statutory paternity leave of 2 weeks plus an additional week of departmental paternity leave all at full pay;
- Highly competitive contributory Civil Service Pension;
- Career development and progression – Career pathway options such as apprenticeships and recognised qualifications for a variety of professions are available;
- Free onsite car parking in Newport and Fareham;
- Cycle to work scheme