We connect with millions of people every day, make content they can’t get enough of and reflect and shape the world we live in… and we do all this through the power of creativity.
We will be a digitally led entertainment and media company that creates and brings brilliant content to audiences, wherever, whenever and however they choose.
Business overview per Business Area:
How would you like to work in the engine room of the world’s longest-running continuing drama?
Coronation Street is looking for a story producer to join the team on a fixed term contract. You will be working to the producer’s brief to help set the agenda for story conferences in line with the producer’s vision.
This role entails …
The story producer will liaise with the production team to ensure the correct balance of cast and locations for ease of scheduling and will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the team of storyliners, assistant storyliners and story editor(s).
- To develop the storylines from conference through to storyline publication, focusing both on long-term story planning and on managing the story team in the writing and production of monthly, short-term story documents.
- To co-chair commissioning and story conferences with the producer. As needed, to chair regular small groups at or around story conferences with the story and writing teams to maintain constant creation of story and direction for characters.
- To work closely with the research department to facilitate accurate telling of real-world stories, within the requirements of the continuing drama medium.
- To maintain balanced (and within budget) use of cast throughout the year, identifying any concerns that may arise and taking appropriate action to rectify the problem. This will include effective management of cast holidays.
- To liaise regularly with heads of department across the production on the details of upcoming story – both long- and short-term – to ensure the smooth running of production and to allow potential issues to be identified well ahead of time.
- To be aware of the strategic issues which affect the department, and to act in a way which is consistent with the rest of the department and in keeping with ITV’s overall strategy.
- To establish and successfully manage a broad range of working relationships
- To ensure effective recruitment and retention of a full team of talented storyline writers and editors, including (but not limited to) overseeing advertisements for vacancies; interviewing and selection; and (in conjunction with producer, assistant producer and our HR team) contract negotiations with incoming staff.
- To guide, develop, motivate and inspire any direct reports, specifically the story team, ensuring they have clear and realistic objectives, and receive constructive feedback.
- To carry out Performance and Development Reviews for all direct reports and to work with the People and Development department to ensure that training needs are met and staff are managed appropriately.
- To deal with queries and correspondence from departments elsewhere in the business and, as necessary, assist the producer in updating cast regarding upcoming storylines, in line with the producer’s long-term story plans.
To be considered for this opportunity you will need to demonstrate the following skills:
Minimum role criteria:
- Minimum 12 Months experience in a relevant role within a scripted drama, e.g. script editor, storyline writer, screenwriter, producer or assistant producer.
- Demonstrable experience of effectively managing, motivating, monitoring and developing a team within scripted drama.
- Wide ranging knowledge of television production processes.
- Proven evidence of creativity, developing original ideas, and a track record of turning ideas into reality, exhibiting sound editorial judgement.
- An enquiring and analytical mind with the ability to pay attention to detail as well as take an overview of the situation
- Demonstrable experience of working in a high pressure TV environment, with the required resilience and stamina to sustain high performance and to consistently meet delivery and budget targets.
ITV strongly encourages applications for this role from candidates with a disability and as a Disability Confident Leader if you meet the minimum criteria for a role and you have declared that you have a disability, we’ll guarantee you’ll get to the next stage*.
The Key role criteria is as follows:
- The ability to provide clear and authoritative communications with all people at all levels within and outside the organisation, both verbally and in writing as appropriate.
- Numeracy skills and negotiation skills in relation to negotiating deals and budget management.
- The drive, commitment and enthusiasm to perform effectively and creatively as well as to set and achieve challenging goals appropriate to programme needs.
- Editorial eye and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage time effectively whilst dealing with changing priorities.
- Ability to motivate and nurture a team.
We’re happy to discuss any support/personalisation you may need during our application process as part of our reasonable adjustments approach. So we encourage you to get in touch with us if you require anything… Our email is email@example.com. Find out more here
Find out more about our benefits http://www.itvjobs.com/why-join-us/benefits/
We want to be the most flexible employer in Media. We offer Smart working and we will support you and provide you the right environment and work/ life balance
We reach millions of people everyday, that’s why having diverse talents and being an organisation where colleagues feel included is crucial to us. We have various networks who celebrate and support our colleagues. We try to embed an inclusive mindset in everything we do. Find out more here
* There may be a few exceptions where we are not able to take all eligible candidates to the next stage due to the volume of applications.
Related Jobs (5)
Infrastructure Engineer – IT Security or Identity Management Team on November 17, 2021 Full Time Part Time Permanent
Head of Digital Learning, Portal and Intranet Services on November 17, 2021 Full Time Permanent