We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Digital Quality and Test Engineer to join our Digital Services team here at the DVSA. This will be a key role within our team, delivering excellent, scalable automated and manual testing capability and providing overall direction and management of software testing, while ensuring that technology standards are defined and followed to meet users’ needs efficiently and reliably.
You will perform gap analysis on current testing processes, competencies and capacity and implement plans to remove identified gaps, while keeping abreast of new technology patterns and trends to lead the evolution of test standards, tools and processes.
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency is expanding their digital team. We work on high-profile digital products used by millions of people every year. To make an even greater impact, we need your skills to keep us at the forefront of technology.
And we really are at the forefront: our digital products and apps use machine learning and artificial intelligence, virtual reality, CGI and serverless solutions.
Our digital-first vision is underpinned by a clear strategy which allows our staff to develop and grow. There’s never been a better time to join DVSA Digital!
include (but not limited to):
• Managing all test processes
• Managing client relationships with respect to testing matters
• Coordinating, managing and communicating the planning of the system and/or acceptance tests
• Defining acceptance criteria for user stories
• Creating fast feedback loops
• Ensuring that testing is relevant, considering product owner preferences
Please see the attached Job Description for an in-depth view of the post.
You will be part of a progressive working environment so a knowledge of Agile working and the flexibility to engage varying projects will be necessary. You will also have some leadership responsibilities so the ability to coach and mentor junior members of the team will be beneficial.
We are committed to encouraging and enabling our staff to develop in and above their role and will support you through further development opportunities/qualifications.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) helps everyone stay safe on Britain’s roads.
We’re an innovative organisation that values professional expertise and invests in all our people. We champion inclusive and diverse teams, ensuring we have the skills required to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future, meeting the needs of the people who use our services.
If you would like to read more about the great opportunities and benefits of working at DVSA visit our Careers website.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
The Civil Service Nationality Rules has been updated following the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. The new rules will come into effect on 1st January 2021. We urge people from the EU, European Economic Area and Switzerland to be familiar with the updated Nationality rules prior to applying for this role.
The sift is due to take place w/c 25th January 2021.
Interviews are due to take place w/c 8th February 2021.
This interview will be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, you will need to provide detailed evidence of your experience of the following sift criteria within your CV and Personal Statement:
- Experience in testing within a large-scale ICT estate, including integrating new and legacy products.
- An ability to analyse & communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience, pro-active sharing attitudes
- Experience across a range of performance / load / automation test tools
- Experience working on technical projects within an Agile & service aligned model and the necessary sharing communicative behaviours
- Promoting continuous improvements and effective use of Agile practices, for example experience of one or more from peer review, test driven development, automated build & test.
- Ability to quickly research and learn new tools and techniques, learn by proof of concepts and iteration
- Knowledge of the use of git version control systems
- Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques
- Ability to mentor and coach other QA & testing resources
- Excellent written communication skills including reports, and technical specifications
- Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites
- Understanding of the use of Design at every step of the Agile process
- Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling and storage
- Understanding and proficiency in Browser, Accessibility and UI testing
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
- an interview
- an interview with one or more exercises
- a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the ‘Contact point for applicants’ section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UKs
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Digital Resourcing
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission