The Snr IT Developer role is responsible for the development (incl. low-level solution design) and maintenance (Level 3) of IT solutions in their given area. The individual will specialise in Pega (Certified Senior System Architect), adopting the AA’s chosen delivery methodology to drive the delivery of high-quality solutions in a cost effective manner. They will model delivery excellence for more junior members of the team (and engaged partner resources), providing technical guidance/review and striving for continual process improvement.
What will I be doing?
- Works closely with customers, business analysts, and team members to understand the business requirements and to drive the design and development of high-quality technical solutions.
- Provide quantified delivery estimates for assigned changes/projects. This will include challenging estimates provided by external development partners.
- Deliver functionality (as part of both small/BAU changes and large projects) that fully meets the defined functional and non-functional requirements (evidenced by execution of agreed test cases) within committed timescales and budget. This will include definition, maintenance and execution of unit test cases.
- Provide Level 3 Application Support, exercising troubleshooting and methodical diagnostic skills to resolve issues. In some cases, you may be expected to provide call out for 2nd and 3rd line support ‘out of hours’.
- Ensure the delivered solutions comply with the organization’s architectural standards and seek formal exceptions where appropriate.
- Ensure code is developed in line with agreed coding standards (whether delivered by internal or partner resource), such that we deliver maintainable & performant code. This will include making recommendations towards the development of new code or reuse of existing code as appropriate.
- Model best practice in your own delivery, acting as a role model for more junior members of the development team. This includes consistently exceeding the defined development KPIs in your own delivery and supporting more junior members in the same vain.
- Be a technical leader in Pega, responsible for code reviews of work delivered by more junior members of the development team (both internal and partner resources). This should include identifying repeating issues and mitigation strategies (feeding into supplier reviews).
- Creation of technical documentation, in line with agreed SDLC and documentation standards.
- Where appropriate, you should be able to lead the delivery of Continuous Integration in an Agile environment.
- Identification and reporting on Key Performance Indicators for Waterfall and Agile teams.
- Identify areas for improvement within your team’s delivery and, where appropriate, lead the trial and rollout of new software delivery processes and techniques.
- Responsibilities may include participation in component and data architecture design, performance monitoring, product evaluation and buy versus build recommendations.
- Applies knowledge and experience with technology and application development methodologies to perform basic systems analysis techniques, testing, debugging, file design, storage, etc
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- An in depth understanding of the full Software Delivery Lifecycle (ideally in both waterfall and agile models).
- Experience of developing and deploying IT solutions in complex (i.e. multi-project, multi-system) environments and aligned to multiple delivery methodologies (e.g. Waterfall and Agile).
- Demonstrable experience in the timely delivery of medium-large scale development programmes/projects.
- Experience of delivering with vendor teams would be beneficial, ideally with an offshore component.
- A minimum of 4 years experience in design and implementation of Pega PRPC based solutions (preferably in version 7.x).
- Experience of Java/SQL beneficial
- Experience of the Pega Insurance framework including product builder and Pega Underwriting beneficial.
- Experience of Pega Marketing and Decisioning also beneficial.
Education and Qualifications:
- Pega Certified Senior Systems Architect
- Other related professional qualifications are beneficial, but not essential.
- Requires a diligent, data-driven individual who is committed to continual assessment and improvement.
- Individual must possess a strong technical aptitude and the ability to apply their knowledge to new technologies which they may not be familiar with.
- The individual must be comfortable with objectively challenging their peers and superiors to ensure adherence to agreed quality standards (this equally applies to vendors).
- Whilst robustness and integrity are important, the individual must also be pragmatic and able to adapt to the needs of the business.
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It’s very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.