- Job Reference 48388
- SALARY & BENEFITS Salary £35,389 - £41,149 National £35,389 min; London £37,840 min
- Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Level Senior Executive Officer
The UK Statistics Authority and its executive arm, the Office for National Statistics is a large and complex operating environment, that provides real opportunity to audit a diverse range of areas. Due to an increase in demand of the internal audit services, we are looking to grow the team and the skills of auditors to develop a structure that can support delivery of the Internal Audit Plan .
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is the UK’s largest producer of official statistics, covering a range of key economic, social and demographic topics. These include measuring changes in the value of the UK economy, estimating the size, geographic distribution and characteristics of the population, and providing indicators of price inflation, employment, earnings, crime and migration.
During a period of rapid transformation that has seen the organisation evolve its technological and data capability, there is a need for an experienced internal audit professional to support in the development of the valued assurance we provide. We are passionate about risk based auditing which ensures that we focus on the risks that present the greatest threat to the achievement of the Authority’s objectives. Internal audit is highly valued within the organisation and is often at the heart of key
The Internal Audit function has built a strong reputation within the organisation and is continually seeking ways to enhance and improve its own service, and the ways in which the organisation delivers on its outcomes. The position requires an individual with the gravitas needed to thrive in the challenge of this complex environment and a self-motivated individual who can buy into the vision that has been set for Internal Audit.
The scope and nature of the organisation enables diversity in your career options as you progress. The organisation will support your career through technical training, coaching and development, and provide access to a highly varied portfolio of work.
- Take a lead on the delivery of all aspects of more complex risk based internal audit assignments. This includes; planning and leading scoping meetings with senior stakeholders to agree a Terms of Reference, completion of audit fieldwork; leading close meetings to agree audit findings; and producing a robust evidence based draft report, in line with quality, time and budget requirements.
- Manage individual and team audit budgets effectively, and proactively identify issues affecting delivery, providing solutions and options ahead of deadlines.
- Undertake reviews of the auditors working papers to ensure the standards of the HIA and professional standards have been met.
- Support the implementation of audit software and the evolution of the audit methodology for the function to meet professional standards and best practice set within government.
- Oversee the production of MI for Audit and Risk Assurance Committee.
- As part of the ongoing transformation, look to continuously improve your own development and that of the wider team, nurturing talent and looking for opportunities to develop staff needs.
- Supporting the relationship with our co-sourcing partner.
- Play an active role in developing relationships with senior stakeholders and across the organisation in order to gain business intelligence and promote the role of Internal Audit.
- Take a lead on the follow up of previous internal audit recommendations ensuring risks are mitigated.
- Some travel will be required between sites.
- Relevant Professional qualification (CCAB qualified accountant or CMIIA).
- Experienced in developing and delivering risk based internal audit assignments from planning stage through to reporting, within deadlines.
- Strong experience in the delivery of a wide range of audits at both strategic and operational levels that have delivered impactful assurance.
- A strong track record in delivering and presenting high quality internal audit reports to final stage.
- Experience of working effectively in large, complex organisations.
- Experience of influencing and working with a wide range of stakeholders to develop effective governance, risk management and internal control arrangements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Confidence and personal credibility to build relationships.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgement in responding quickly to fast moving priorities.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to manage multiple pieces of work in a dynamic environment.
- Experience of conducting risk based internal audits within data rich and technology focused organisations.
- Experience of working in a central government or large data organisation.
This post attracts a discretionary allowance of £3k, it is non-pensionable and pro-rated and does not formal part of the contractual salary.
- A relevant professional qualification (CCAB qualified accountant or CMIIA).
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
Whether you are hearing about us for the first time or already know a bit about our organisation, we hope that the benefits pack attached (bottom of page) will give you a great insight into the benefits and facilities available to our employees, and our fantastic working culture.
We are an organisation that takes the well-being of its employees seriously and lives and breathes the desire to modernise the workplace of the future. Everyone, from our office-based staff in Newport, London and Titchfield, to our field interviewers and airports and ports passenger survey staff, are part of a diverse and inclusive family.
Inclusion & Accessibility
At ONS we’re always looking to attract the very best people from the widest possible talent pool, and we are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunities employer. As a member of the Business Disability Forum and a Disability Confident Leader we’re committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the recruitment process.
As part of our application process, you will be prompted to provide details of any reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process that you need. If you would like to discuss any reasonable adjustments before applying, please contact the recruitment team in the first instance.
If you would like an accessible version of any of the attachments or recruitment documents below or linked to in this advert, please contact the recruitment team who will be happy to assist.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Your personal statement should be no longer than 1250 words. You should use this space to provide evidence for each essential criteria within the person specification. As the criteria are scored, we would recommend that you give clear examples for each including the impact of your actions. Success Profiles Behaviour examples are not required at this stage.
In cases where there is a high number of applications the sift pass mark may be adjusted and candidates will be invited to interview in merit order, i.e. those scoring the highest.
Should you be invited to interview, you will be assessed using various assessment techniques aligned to the new Civil Service Success Profiles, where you’ll be assessed against all the behaviours outlined in the advert.
A presentation or test may be required as part of the interview process. Further information will be provided to successful candidates prior to interview if necessary.
A reserve list may be held for a period up to 12 months from which further appointments may be made.
This will be a rolling campaign so we suggest you complete your application as soon as possible.
We will conduct a sift once per week and carry our interviews accordingly on an on-going basis until the role is filled.
Due to the nature of this campaign it may not be possible to provide candidates with 5 working days notice prior to interviews.
The advert may be pulled earlier than the closing date if the role is filled before then.
Applicants who are near misses for this specific role may be offered a similar role at a lower grade.
For the full terms and conditions of the post, please see attachment.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
|Job contact :|
|Name :||Natalie Tarr|
|Recruitment team :|