The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency is expanding their digital team. We work on high-profile digital products used by millions of people every year. To make an even greater impact, we need your skills to keep us at the forefront of technology.
And we really are at the forefront: our digital products and apps use machine learning and artificial intelligence, virtual reality, CGI and server less solutions.
Our digital-first vision is underpinned by a clear strategy which allows our staff to develop and grow. There’s never been a better time to join DVSA Digital!
This role will play a critical part in design, continuous improvement and maintenance of digital-infrastructure for large-scale DVSA digital services.
Roles Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Identifying and taking forward opportunities for Digital service.
- Driving the analysis, design and implementation of technical solutions to enable the automation, deployment and operation of significant cloud infrastructure.
- Designing, implementing and maintaining infrastructure that is scalable, resilient, open, efficient, secure and cost-effective.
- Builds solutions as part of a Scrum team that meet user requirements taking ownership of the journey to live.
- Leading and acting as a role model for team members and colleagues in line with Civil Service values.
- Providing guidance to staff to support the delivery of objectives.
- Reporting to and working with Digital Delivery Leads to help shape the delivery plans.
Please see the attached Role Profile for an in-depth view of the post.
To thrive in this role, you will hold experience working and making effective decisions within a fast-moving Agile delivery environment. You will be able to simply and clearly communicate technical design in conversation, documentation and presentations as well as possessing excellent technical and problem-solving skills. You will hold demonstrable experience with cloud providers such as AWS, GCE and Azure, combined with a strong understanding of designing and implementing cloud-based infrastructure strategies.
We would love to hear from individuals with a strong understanding of configuration management tools such as Terrarform, Puppet and Ansible along with a passion and familiarity administering common open source databases such as Oracle, MySQL and DynamoDB.
We are committed to encouraging and enabling our staff to develop in and above their role and will support you through further development opportunities/qualifications.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Technical: Development Operations.
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) helps everyone stay safe on Britain’s roads.
We’re an innovative organisation that values professional expertise and invests in all our people. We champion inclusive and diverse teams, ensuring we have the skills required to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future, meeting the needs of the people who use our services.
If you would like to read more about the great opportunities and benefits of working at DVSA visit our Careers website.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
The Civil Service Nationality Rules has been updated following the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. The new rules will come into effect on 1st January 2021. We urge people from the EU, European Economic Area and Switzerland to be familiar with the updated Nationality rules prior to applying for this role.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
The sift is due to take place from 20th April 2021.
Interviews are due to take place w/c 5th May 2021.
This interview will be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, you will need to provide detailed evidence of your experience of the following sift criteria within your CV and Personal Statement:
- Ability to make effective decisions within fast-moving Agile delivery environment.
- Ability to simply and clearly communicate technical design in conversation, documentation and presentations.
- Open attitude to sharing information and knowledge.
- Ability to provide technical direction to less senior colleagues as required.
- Ability to prioritise own time and activities with minimal guidance.
- Excellent technical and problem-solving skills.
- Substantive experience with cloud providers such as AWS, GCE, Azure, etc.
- Design and implementation experience of cloud-based infrastructure strategies.
- Strong understanding of configuration management tools e.g., Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, to automate infrastructure builds.
- Experience administering common open source databases e.g. Oracle, MySQL, DynamoDB, etc.
- Good familiarity with common network protocols – TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, etc.
- Good exposure to common network technologies e.g. Firewalls, switching, MPLS, DNS.
- Understanding of application deployment strategies, Continuous Integration and version control with tools such as Git and Jenkins.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Server Technologies.
- Familiarity with Linux system administration.
- Experience / understanding of complex, multi-server services in high-availability environments.
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the ‘Contact point for applicants’ section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Digital Resourcing Team
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
Related Jobs (31)
Food Engineer / Shift Engineer – Mechanical (Manufacturing) on November 25, 2021 Full Time Permanent