Here at the AA, the largest breakdown provider in the UK; we are looking to recruit an experienced Senior Data Designer to join our Data team.
Breakdown cover has always been our number one priority but we’ve since branched out into Finance, Insurance, Leisure and Lifestyle services and have a unique history of embracing new technology and innovations to better serve our 14 million members.
The team are going through a period of transformation of digital and analytical capability and you will have the opportunity to be part of the action and to help shape and drive digital solutions that will allow our vision to be achieved!
This is the job
As a Senior Data Designer, you will be an integral member of the Architecture and Design team, working closely with the business and other areas of IT. You will create data solution designs which can be iteratively developed in an agile framework. The designs will represent business and data requirements for small and large change relating to AA data platforms. The work you do will ensure solutions are in accordance to the architecture and design principles and guidelines, delivered and tested generating positive business value.
The role will include line managing Data Designers, including AA employees or partner resources. The role is expected to be significantly hands on (90%+).
What will I be doing?
- Work closely with Business Analysts and Data Analysts to translate business requirements as well as Architects to translate high-level design into detailed system requirements
- Perform Data Analyst responsibilities when required
- Develop and update Physical Data Models (PDMS), review PDMs created by Data Designers and provide on-going support in their development
- Lead design reviews and handover sessions to developers and testers, provide guidance to Data Designers in best practice for design reviews, monitor and review the deliverables and processes related to creation and development of low-level designs
- Provide input into Data Tower Design Authority as requested
- Analyse data sets to identify modelling logic and key attributes required for low-level design
- Engage with and support the full end-to-end data development process including business requirements analysis, source data analysis and testing; respond to team’s queries about the use, quality and validity of data
Managing a team
- You will lead teams and individuals effectively, developing their capabilities and experiences, clarifying roles and responsibilities and ensuring HR records and systems are kept up to date
- Ensure performance management is carried out consistently and effectively, and manage performance issues by providing timely and documented feedback to individuals who are not meeting the required performance expectations
What do I need?
- Strong working knowledge of Cloud based data and analytics solutions potentially using Microsoft Azure, Databricks, Informatica and PowerBI
- Strong hands-on SQL/Python experience for the purposes of interrogating data
- Experience in managing individuals
- Significant experience with data warehouse and business intelligence
- Previous experience in a data design role working specifically in an environment where you must provide input into data warehouse solutions design and data modelling activities
- Excellent knowledge of Data Warehousing Design Methodologies must have Kimball dimensional models
- Excellent Data Analysis skills
- Demonstratable experience in bringing critical insights and suggestions for continual improvement into process and solution design
- Exceptional ability to convey complex messages in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent problem-solver
As a valued member of our team, you’ll have access to a range of fully supported development programmes, designed to help you progress in your career with us. Whether you’re looking to grow in your current role, or learn new skills and take on greater responsibilities, we can help you build the career you’re looking for here.
We’re always looking to recognise and reward our employees for the work they do. Here are just a few of the benefits you’ll have access to, as part of our team..
- Annual discretionary performance related bonus scheme
- Annual car allowance
- Private medical insurance
- 25 days holiday (excl. bank holidays)
- Contributory pension scheme
- Discounted home and motor insurance
- Half price AA breakdown membership in your first year and free after 12 months, along with a 50% introductory discount off breakdown cover for 12 months for up to 5 friends/family members.
- Flexible benefits
- Plus, so much more!