Do you have proactive customer care skills and an understanding of the need to provide a customer orientated service? If you do join our busy team in the heart of the city, supporting the Schools of Art, Media, and Humanities.
With a structured daily routine, activities are split between:
- Help Desk duties and other routine tasks such as circulation of stock, shelving and moving materials to maintain a safe and conducive study environment.
- Additional responsibilities which may include periodicals, inter library loans, digitising stock, online reading lists and processing and repairing stock.
- Help Desk duties include assisting customers to access library services using library systems and online resources, answering initial resource, IT, printing, fines and membership queries, dealing with returned books, and handling cash income.
- Making our service Covid secure for staff and customers, currently, all staff are expected to contribute to an additional regular daily duty which involves a meet and greet role based at the library entrance, wearing appropriate PPE. This is a physical role which requires the ability to lift, handle and shelve heavy books and other items on a regular basis.
St Peters House Library is a busy dynamic environment and to succeed you will:
- Be reliable, flexible, professional, and enjoy learning.
- Be able to work quickly and accurately with excellent communication skills.
- Have a helpful confident manner
- Have an excellent working knowledge of IT.
- We are continually improving our offer to staff, and students and we encourage resource assistants to participate in the planning of service improvements, feeding back what works well and what could be improved.
This post is full-time and permanent. Hours worked are 37 hours per week, excluding unpaid meal breaks. Working days are Monday to Friday, but when the University is in active teaching, the post includes a weekly regular evening shift until 8pm, as well as some weekend working for which appropriate enhancements and time off in lieu is given.
There will be an element of remote working initially whilst we adhere to University Covid secure guidelines. This will usually be one day a week, but this may change at short notice due to staffing requirements on any given day and is not expected to continue once we return to regular operations. You will be expected to monitor the library email and answer enquiries or forward them to the appropriate library.
Whilst this post is based at our Brighton City campus, post holders at the University of Brighton may be required to work in any of the Brighton University campus libraries.
Unfortunately due to current business requirements, this role is not suitable for a job share arrangement.
Further details: Job Description
The University is committed to an inclusive environment which embraces equality and diversity in our working, learning, research and teaching environment. We particularly encourage applicants from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) background because the university is underrepresented by BAME staff.
Further information about working for us, as well as the wide range of benefits we offer, can be found in the working with us section of our vacancies page.