- Job Level Senior management
- INDUSTRY SECTOR Law
Our CDR team in Nottingham works on a diverse range of high value and complex commercial cases in a variety of sectors, including Diversified Industrials, Consumer, Sports and Energy/Utilities. The Nottingham team is ranked in tier 1 in Legal 500 and in band 2 in Chambers for commercial litigation across the Midlands.
Our commercial disputes can include breach of warranties/indemnities, civil fraud/breach of confidence (including injunctions), commercial contract disputes and tort claims. Our clients are a mix of global and local businesses. Examples of recent matters include:
- acting in a civil fraud claim against a former employee in relation to a £2.5m theft. We obtained a worldwide freezing injunction and a restraining order against the defendant, as well as successfully recovering a large proportion of the stolen funds;
- defending a claim for misrepresentation, breach of contract and negligence, relating to allegations that the defendant made misrepresentations to induce the claimant into a significant services contract and was then negligent in how it performed the contract;
- advising on a significant dispute arising under a long-term PFI contract, against the main facilities management company, who it is alleged is seeking to avoid various ongoing contractual obligations.
Louise Howarth, a partner in the Nottingham CDR team, co-leads our UK energy regulatory disputes practice. Louise has market leading expertise in handling Ofgem regulatory investigations and related public law challenges to Ofgem’s decision making; advising energy retailers, distributors and generators. Louise also handles commercial claims arising in relation to energy, chemicals and environmental disputes (e.g. group action environmental nuisance claims and warranty claims).
Our Nottingham office is modern and open plan and fosters a positive and collegiate atmosphere. The office has circa 100 employees including in commercial, corporate, insolvency, IP, human resources and planning/real estate which provide regular referrals of work. We are conveniently located next to Nottingham train station and close to the town centre’s amenities.
Practice group/Global Operations team: Litigation – Commercial Dispute Resolution (“CDR”)
We welcome applications from experienced associates who are keen to grow their practice and progress their careers. There is the potential for promotion to partnership for the right candidate.
You will be delivering strategic and commercial legal advice to our clients on a wide range of commercial litigation cases, supporting the growth and development of the wider commercial disputes team.
You will support and guide junior lawyers and associates in the team. You will be proactive in business development and contribute to the strategic growth and direction of the team.
Skills and Experience
- You will have worked in a high performing dispute resolution team, running complex and high value matters (as appropriate to level) and be a collaborative team player.
- You will possess strong technical skills and excellent academic qualifications.
- Ability to analyse complex factual situations and distil the key issues clearly and concisely and persuade others through logical reasoning. An excellent communicator.
- You will provide a first rate client service both internally and externally and will be considered a trusted advisor by your clients.
- Experienced in High Court litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Be able to demonstrate success in business development activities and a track record of winning work.
- You may have an established sector specialism or an area of expertise that you wish to develop further.