Historic England have a unique opportunity for you to join us as our Maritime Archaeologist, which will give you the opportunity to be at the centre of our marine services including managing projects, identifying sites and working with both our volunteer Licensees, contractors and others to manage our most important wrecks.
The location of the opportunity is flexible. You can be based in one of our National offices, home working or hybrid working where you will be based in the office and home.
What you will be doing:
You will be a key member of a small and busy team where we need you to be responsible for casework, administration and licencing relating to the physical management of England`s protected wreck sites.
You will act as the first point of contact for our volunteer Licencees and their teams you will manage and advise on licence applications, assess and support projects and liaise with internal and external colleagues and organisations to promote effective management of our marine heritage.
You will be responsible for assisting in national casework delivery in relation to England`s existing, and new, Protected Wreck Sites.
Who we are looking for:
- A degree in a relevant subject or substantial equivalent experience.
- A commitment to champion the interest of the historic environment to the public at large via various media including the press and social media.
- Experience of marine project management and of building and maintaining partnerships in project work.
- Ability to build and sustain effective, mutually respectful working relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Broad understanding of heritage legislation as it affects all aspects of the marine and coastal historic environment and proven experience of its operation and application in English waters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusion. If you have a disability, we would be happy to discuss reasonable adjustments to the job with you. Having just won the Gold Award from MIND, we also recognize the importance of a healthy work -life balance. We offer a wide benefits package including a competitive pension scheme, a generous 28 days holiday, corporate discounts, free entry into English Heritage sites across the county and development opportunities to ensure you achieve your goals.
Supplementary documents: Job Description