The Lead Solution Designer is responsible for architecting and designing business applications for the Road sales and CRM system which is a Pega based application but also spans a number of other systems/technologies. The individual will act as a technical design authority within the AA Pega COE team in order to drive the design and delivery of high-quality solutions across these multiple systems/technologies in a cost-effective manner. They will provide support and guidance for more junior members of the team (and engaged partner resources), striving for continual process improvement.
What will I be doing?
- Works closely with key business & IT stakeholders, business analysts, and other team members to understand and help define/elaborate requirements. Where appropriate the requirements should be challenged to ensure adherence to industry best practice or align to existing/out of the box functionality as appropriate.
- Creation and evolution of detailed designs across the relevant technologies. HLD, LLD, TDD, etc.) with a focus on standardisation and re-usability. This will include High and Low Level Designs, Technical Designs and Interface Contract Documents.
- Act as a conduit between Solution Architecture and Development teams, ensuring effective translation of high level design and adherence to architectural and design standards/principles. Collaborate with architecture, infrastructure, security and external partners to ensure alignment on design is achieved.
- Have detailed technical and functional knowledge of the relevant platform/system capabilities. Applies knowledge of industry trends, standards and developments to improve technical deliveries and service.
- Provide design assurance/governance during the build/test phases, acting as a technical design authority and ensuring the solution design and implementation meets technical, functional and non-functional requirements.
- Drive the definition of best practice and standards within the design and development teams. Responsible for reviewing requirements, functional specifications, architectural designs and test strategies to ensure members of the team are adhering agreed standards. This should include identifying repeating issues and mitigation strategies (feeding into appropriate reviews).
- Responsible for defining reusable design patterns and shared/reusable enterprise rules/workflow components on the Pega platform.
- Provide quantified delivery estimates for assigned changes & projects. This will include challenging estimates provided by external development partners. Manages demand as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Identify areas for improvement within your team’s delivery and, where appropriate, lead the trial and rollout of new software delivery processes and techniques.
Work with the IT Portfolio Manager for the relevant functional area to understand future strategy, roadmap and support the definition of an aligned Tech roadmap.
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years experience in design and implementation of Enterprise solutions.
- Experience in a similar solution design role architecting solutions in complex (i.e. multi-project, multi-system) environments and aligned to multiple delivery methodologies (e.g. Waterfall and Agile).
- Experience of Pega essential, LSA or SSA certification preferred.
- Experience of Pega Marketing and Decisioning, the Pega Insurance framework including product builder, Pega Underwriting and Pega customer service for Insurance beneficial.
- Experience of Tibco ESB and SAP beneficial.
- Experience of Data Model design and Oracle SQL, PL/SQL beneficial.
- Experience on DevOps practices beneficial.
- Experience in UX/UI design beneficial.
- An in depth understanding of the full Software Delivery Lifecycle (ideally in both waterfall and agile models).
- Demonstrable experience in the timely delivery of medium-large scale development programmes/projects.
- Experience of delivering with vendor teams would be beneficial, ideally with an offshore component.
- Prior management, supervisory and/or team leadership experience is beneficial.
Education and Qualifications:
- Pega Certified Lead Systems Architect beneficial
- Other related professional qualifications are beneficial, but not essential.
- Requires a diligent, data-driven individual who is committed to continual assessment and improvement.
- Individual must possess a strong technical aptitude and the ability to apply their knowledge to new technologies which they may not be familiar with.
- The individual must be comfortable with objectively challenging their peers and superiors to ensure adherence to agreed quality standards (this equally applies to vendors).
- Whilst robustness and integrity are important, the individual must also be pragmatic and able to adapt to the needs of the business.
- Requires strong organisation, communication, stakeholder management and facilitation skills
- Ability to organise, document and present information in a clear and succinct manner
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It’s very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.