- SALARY & BENEFITS £55,646 - £62,861
- Job Contact CTO Recruitment
- Contact Email CTORecruitment@homeoffice.gov.uk
- EDUCATION LEVEL Undergraduate degree (or equivalent)
- INDUSTRY SECTOR Public Services
The first duty of the government is to keep citizens safe and the country secure. The Home Office has been at the front line of this effort since 1782. As such, we play a fundamental role in maintaining the security and economic prosperity of the UK.
The Home Office leads on immigration and passports, refugee protection, counter-terrorism, policing, fire services, and crime and drugs policy.
Digital Data and Technology (DDaT) enables the Home Office to keep the UK safe and secure. We design and build the services that help people apply for visas or passports; support policing and counter-terrorism operations; and protect the UK’s borders.
This is an exciting time to be at the Home Office. You’ll have a chance to shape the future and support our mission to deliver exceptional public services that work for everyone.
Our work is guided by these principles:
• we put user needs first
• we value delivery and outcomes over process
• we work in the open
Our flexible working policy ensures a healthy work-life balance. We also nurture talent and offer a broad range of learning and development opportunities that will help you flourish in your role.
We work hard to maintain a positive working culture and are committed to helping you fulfil your potential. We value diversity and provide an open, inclusive and supportive environment to help you do your best work.
You can keep up to date with our work on the Home Office DDaT blog Here
A Lead Infrastructure Engineer assumes responsibility for managing third party provision of infrastructure services and the provision of expertise to deliver architectural solutions for infrastructure services throughout the service lifecycle.
You will oversee programmes and projects and work with Technical Architects to translate the architectural designs into operations and support technical architects in operationalising the designs.
You will lead and direct infrastructure teams in building, managing, transitioning, supporting and maintaining solutions according to departmental policy and ensure a feedback loop exists with service support to ensure continuous improvement. You are responsible for overall management activities such as workforce planning, budgeting, technology roadmaps, projects and tasks.
This role is a Technical specialist role in the Systems Administration (SA) Team responsible for the delivery of national critical applications, currently run and supported at the Hendon Data Centre (HDC), plus it’s corresponding Business Continuity site (DRS). You will be a leading member of a talented and motivated team consisting of 3 Lead Infrastructure Engineers, 9 Senior Infrastructure Engineers and 2 Infrastructure Engineers and you will have direct managerial responsibility for two of the Senior Infrastructure Engineers. Deep technical knowledge of a complex site infrastructure is essential that contains a mixture of servers, virtual machines major applications, SAN storage and Archive/backup technologies.
This role may attract RRA, candidates with exceptional skills & experience may receive a Recruitment & Retention Allowance up to a maximum of £11,300. This allowance is subject to annual review in line with departmental priorities and could be reduced or withdrawn at any time.
Your main day to day responsibilities will be:
• leading teams and departments in the implementation, administration and support of infrastructure solutions and services
• reviewing systems designs to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources, integration of multiple systems and technology and that ‘Secure by Design’ principles have been followed
• managing planning of system and/or acceptance tests, coordinating both functional and non-functional specifications and provide authoritative advice and guidance on test planning
• troubleshooting and identifying problems across different technology capabilities including compute, storage, networking, physical infrastructure, software, cloud, commercial off the shelf (COTS) and open source
• establishing standards and procedures across a service lifecycle including the development lifecycle and ensure that practitioners adhere to this. You will manage resources to ensure that the systems integration function works effectively
• after a solution has been integrated, you will evaluate the success of the project, identifying best practices and lessons learned. You will provide feedback to teams and incorporate this information into future plans
• Managing, coaching and mentoring more junior infrastructure engineers with direct management of two Senior Infrastructure Engineers.
• You will provide second and third line support for critical national applications such as Schengen II, ViSOR, the National DNA Data Base, etc…
• You will organize and implement team tasking as agreed in the HDC governance Change Log using appropriate Change Management procedures.
• You will train and task your staff to maintain a usable Business Continuity site and be fully involved with ‘Cutover/Cutback’ exercises.
• You will maintain the existing HDC infrastructure whilst transitioning to new technologies on new infrastructure.
You will also be expected to carry out the following day to day activities:
• ensure the creation and updating of technical documentation
• manage the response to incident reports, ensuring relevant prioritisation and detail to allow for effective investigation
• identify the correct procedures and appropriate channels for resolution and monitor resolution activities and progress updates to users
• investigate faults in systems, processes and services, and advise on the implementation of appropriate solutions and preventative measures
• help shape engineering best practices and standards
Skills and Experience Essential:
You’ll have a demonstrable passion for Infrastructure Engineering, with the following skills or strong experience in:
• leading the technology team to adhere to good engineering principles from architecture through to development
• providing leadership to the teams responsible for delivery of the service through effective direction and coaching
• managing and delivering complex technologies within time, cost and quality targets.
• different methodologies including Agile, waterfall and continuous integration principles
• building strong partnerships with diverse teams across multiple locations and technologies
• advising on future technology changes and innovations and defining best practice for network improvements and information security
• You will have demonstrable skills in troubleshooting complex and critical systems.
• You will have expert knowledge of at least two of the following technologies:
• Red Hat Linux.
• Windows enterprise operating systems.
• SAN storage.
• Server update technologies such as ‘Satellite Server’, ‘WSUS’, AV, etc..
• You will provide ‘on-call’ services to resolve any major incident (P1, P2) occurrences and provide support for planned exercises during/outside normal working hours.
The skills listed above are reflective of the Home Office DDaT Profession Skills and Competency Model (based on the industry standard SFIA framework). Please see below for the relevant skills required for your role:
Strategy and Architecture
• Information Strategy
• Information Security (SCTY) – Level 4
• Advice and Guidance
• Technical Specialism (TECH) – Level 5
Development and Implementation
• Installation and Integration
• Systems installation/decommissioning (HSIN) – Level 4
Delivery and Operation
• Service Operation
• IT Infrastructure (ITOP) – Level 4
• Security Administration (SCAD) – Level 4
• System Software (SYSP) – Level 5
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : CTO Recruitment
Email : CTORecruitment@homeoffice.gov.uk
Telephone : 07467339704
Recruitment team :
Email : HOrecruitment.email@example.com
External Candidate Notes V26 Opens in new window (docx, 157kB)
Home Office CANDIDATE & ID DOCUMENTS (v11.19) Opens in new window (pdf, 394kB)
Framework Version 7 SFIA Opens in new window (pdf, 1329kB)