The Platforms Technical Design Lead will ensure that all designs for all types of Platforms (covering Unix & Windows Servers, IaaS Solutions and Storage Infrastructure) are completed to an industry best standard and those set out by Enterprise Architecture (EA). They will be responsible for taking Solutions Architecture outputs and defining (& costing) the Platforms required to support the required solution, utilising existing capacity or designing new capacity as required.
What will I be doing?
- Translate and advise implementation of solutions into the infrastructure based on an existing high-level design (HLD) or other provided documentation, from Solution Architecture, to produce a corresponding infrastructure design.
- Produce infrastructure designs that align to EA standards, and meet agreed quality review standards, ensuring that all designs take account of currently available / reusable capacity as well as specifying new infrastructure
- Collaborative engagement with Solution Architects & PM’s to identify the right infrastructure at the right cost / ROI for the project being designed
- Review and feedback on architectural objectives for solutions proposed
- Review new technologies and how these would interact with existing support processes and infrastructure
- Ensure presented documentation conforms to operations minimal requirements for successful implementation and support including disaster recovery, backup, recovery time objectives (RPO) and recovery time objectives (RTO).
- Liaise with approved suppliers to provide resourcing and infrastructure costs
- Keep up to date with current technologies and solutions within the IT market place
- A consultant to project managers advising on resourcing requirements, either internal or external, to achieve project technical deliverables within time scales
- Work in partnership with AA architecture team to ensure the vision of the solution is achieved
- Ensure third party consultants adhere to AA IT operations standards whilst achieving project deliverables
- Provide advice and guidance to internal or external technical specialists supporting and implementing solutions
- IT Ops & Service engagement point into Enterprise Architecture & InfoSec to ensure feedback on architectural objectives/solutions and new technologies and their impact on delivery & support is assessed
- Design and develop a constant technology design roadmap
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years experiencing working as a senior technical expert in the following fields:
- VMware and virtualization
- Active Directory & SCCM
- SAN and NAS Storage
- Azure and Cloud deployments
- Server and Network Security
Other areas beneficial areas of experience include:
- Backup & recovery
The following skills being highly desirable:
- Checkpoint, BIGIP, CISCO ASA, Riverbed
- Proven experience working within 24/7 IT operational environment
- Proven experience delivering continuous service improvements for the business
- Expert within the technology fields of Platforms
Education and Qualifications:
- Educated to HNC level in IT communications or a related technical subject, or equivalent professional accreditation
Related professional qualifications are beneficial, but not essential.
- ITIL version 3 Foundation (minimum). Preferable ITIL v3 Service Lifecycle Certification Service Design
A technically orientated driven individual who is committed to continual service improvement.
The individual must be comfortable with objectively challenging their peers, superiors and reports to ensure adherence to agreed quality standards (this equally applies to vendors).
Whilst robustness and integrity are important, the individual must also be pragmatic and able to adapt to the needs of the business.
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It’s very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.