- Job Reference 30984
- SALARY & BENEFITS £29,017 - £34,149
- Job Contact Natalie Tarr
- Contact Email Natalie.Tarr@ons.gov.uk
- EDUCATION LEVEL Undergraduate degree (or equivalent)
- Job Level Higher Executive Officer
- INDUSTRY SECTOR Accountancy, banking and finance
Are you looking to develop your career and studies in Internal Audit??
The UK Statistics Authority and its executive arm, the Office for National Statistics is a large and complex operating environment, that provides real opportunity to audit a diverse range of areas. Due to an increase in demand of the internal audit services, we are looking to grow the team and the skills of auditors to develop a structure that can support delivery of the Internal Audit Plan.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is the UK’s largest producer of official statistics, covering a range of key economic, social and demographic topics. These include measuring changes in the value of the UK economy, estimating the size, geographic distribution and characteristics of the population, and providing indicators of price inflation, employment, earnings, crime and migration.
During a period of rapid transformation that has seen the organisation evolve its technological and data capability, there is a need for an experienced internal audit professional to support in the development of the valued risk based assurance approach we provide. We adopt a risk based internal audit approach which focuses on the risks which present the greatest threat to the achievement of the Authority’s objectives and the internal controls which should manage them to acceptable levels.
The Internal Audit function has built a strong reputation within the organisation and is continually seeking ways to enhance and improve its own service, and the ways in which the organisation delivers on its outcomes. The position requires an individual with the gravitas needed to thrive in the challenge of this complex environment and a self-motivated individual who can buy into the vision that has been set for Internal Audit. We have an increasing focus on Data and IT, so the work will be varied and challenging.
The scope and nature of the organisation enables diversity in your career options as you progress. The organisation will support your career through technical training, coaching and development, and provide access to a varied portfolio of work.
- Complete professional (CCAB or IIA) qualification, sponsored by ONS and applying the learning in practice.
- Delivery of all aspects of a range of risk based internal audit assignments. This includes; planning and contributing in scoping meetings with senior stakeholders to agree a Terms of Reference; completion of audit fieldwork; supporting close meetings to agree audit findings; and producing a robust evidence based draft report, in line with quality, time and budget requirements.
- • Manage audit budgets effectively, and proactively identify issues affecting delivery, providing solutions and options ahead of deadlines.
- Undertake self-review of working papers to ensure the standards of the HIA and professional standards have been met.
- Support the implementation of audit software and the evolution of the audit methodology for the function to meet professional standards and best practice set within government.
- Support the production of MI for Audit and Risk Assurance Committee.
- As part of the ongoing transformation, look to continuously improve development.
- Supporting the relationship with our co-sourcing partner.
- Developing a strong understanding of the UKSA, ONS and the different business areas.
- Play an active role in developing relationships with senior stakeholders across the organisation in order to gain business intelligence and promote the role of Internal Audit.
Some travel will be required between sites.
- A strong commitment and motivation to completing your professional qualification (CCAB or CMIIA).
- Experience in developing and delivering a range of risk based internal audit assignments that have delivered impactful assurance.
- A strong track record in delivering and presenting high quality internal audit working papers and reports to draft stage.
- Self-motivated and organised with the ability to juggle workloads and deliver assignments within deadlines.
- Take an active interest in expanding knowledge of ONS and areas relating to the role and seek opportunities for improvement through continuous learning.
- Experience of working effectively in large, complex organisations.
- Experience of influencing and working with a wide range of stakeholders to develop effective governance, risk management and internal control arrangements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Confidence and personal credibility to build relationships.
- Ability to consider a broad range of perspectives in your thinking.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgement in responding quickly to fast moving priorities.
- Experience of conducting risk based internal audits within data rich and technology focused organisations.
- Experience of working in a central government or large data organisation.
- Working towards a relevant professional qualification (CCAB part qualified accountant or CMIIA part qualified).
- Candidates are required to have completed a degree and achieved at least a 2:2 in any discipline.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Good work-life balance – working options include flexible working arrangements Monday to Friday between 7am and 7pm;
- Highly competitive contributory Civil Service Pension;
- Generous holiday allowance – 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service in addition to public holidays;
- Career development and progression – Career pathway options such as apprenticeships and recognised qualifications for a variety of professions are available;
- Strong ethos of equality and diversity;
- Up to 3 days paid leave per year for voluntary opportunities;
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and statutory paternity leave of 2 weeks plus an additional week of departmental paternity leave all at full pay;
- Free onsite car parking in Newport and Fareham;
- Cycle to work scheme