- Salary Range £20,000+
- SALARY & BENEFITS £23,053 - £59,299 SEO min: £36,027 Grade 7 min: £49,100
- Job Contact Iain Smith
- Contact Email Iain.Smith@ons.gov.uk
- Job Level Higher Executive Officer
- INDUSTRY SECTOR Engineering
- Do you want to work in an exciting environment using modern technology and infrastructure?
- Are you motivated by working on the latest digital technologies and infrastructure?
- Are you looking to start your career somewhere that will allow you to continuously develop yourself?
- If so, this could be the role for.
Our team culture is based around agile working and providing excellent service to both our internal and external customers.
IT infrastructure engineering is about the skills needed to manage the life cycle of the ONS infrastructure enabling the technology teams to build products and services which are easy to operate, scale and secure.
This involves skills in areas such as end user computing, mobile device management, server operating systems, storage area networks, virtualisation technologies, hosting and cloud services, Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service and networking technologies.
For this specific role we are looking for a Database Administrator. As a member of the Operational Services team you will be responsible for designing, creating, supporting and improving new and existing database related infrastructure services, products and platforms.
ONS is looking for experienced professionals to join the Database and Middleware Support team. This team supports a range of database and middleware products that are fundamental building blocks of the Database Operations provided by Technology Operations.
Currently the Database and Middleware Support team are accountable for the design, implementation and operation of products such as Oracle RDBMS, Microsoft SQL Server, Actian Ingres Database, Oracle Weblogic and supporting technologies.
Specifically, ONS is now looking to strengthen this team with experienced Database Administrators who will have solid evidence of Oracle RDBMS, MS SQL, Cloudera or Actian Ingres. Ideally they will have additional experience in the other disciplines or in other non-relational database technologies such as NoSQL, MongoDB, Couchbase and Reddit.
Once fully competent in role you’ll be expected to deliver:
• Day to day administration of database technologies such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server
• Designing, creating, supporting and improving new and existing database related infrastructure services, products and platforms.
• Identifying improvements to processes and identifying ways of automating tasks to improve delivery.
• Management of incidents, requests, changes and problems.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to:
• Defining, building, bringing into service, operating, supporting, performance monitoring, continually improving and decommissioning Infrastructure services products and platforms to serve a variety of user needs.
• For database services, products and platforms supported:
– Managing incidents, requests, changes and problems
– Managing the configuration, availability, capacity, performance and cost
– Drive continuous improvement activities.
• Maximise the use of tools and technologies to deliver operational excellence.
• Active participation in wider communities of practice, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
• Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques and collaborating to improve the capability of the team.
• Maintain consistency between development and production environments.
You will be fully competent to:
• Lead database technologies including backup and High availability. Namely, Oracle RDBMS, Microsoft SQL server, Cloudera, Postgres, Actian Ingres etc
• Build, operate, support, performance monitor, continually improve and decommission infrastructure services products and platforms to serve a variety of user needs.
• Carry out upgrades and patching to existing database and middleware technologies.
• Manage and maintain system access and security.
• Monitor existing technologies and identify issues before they occur.
• Drive continuous improvement activities.
• Work collaboratively within own team sharing knowledge to improve team capability.
• Build excellent networks among wider communities of practice, identifying and adopting best practice.
It is desirable that you can demonstrate knowledge of the following technologies:
• Cloud technologies (e.g.: AWS, Google (GCP) & Azure)
• Oracle Exadata
• Middleware – Oracle WebLogic/JBoss
• Non-relational databases (e.g. NoSQL, MongoDB, Couchbase, Reddit)
• Enterprise management tools e.g. SPLUNK and Oracle Enterprise Management (OEM)
• Server operating systems (Red Hat and Windows)
• Microsoft Windows Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Print server and queue management
• Identity Management e.g. active directory, Azure active directory and Oracle Identity Manager
• Networking technologies
• Storage technologies e.g. Oracle ASM, NAS, SAN and data volumes
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Skills relevant to the role will be assessed at interview stage.
• Generous holiday allowance – 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service in addition to public holidays;
• Good work-life balance – working options include flexible working arrangements Monday to Friday between 7am and 7pm;
• Strong ethos of equality and diversity;
• Up to 3 days paid leave per year for voluntary opportunities;
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and statutory paternity leave of 2 weeks plus an additional week of departmental paternity leave all at full pay;
• Highly competitive contributory Civil Service Pension;
• Career development and progression – Career pathway options such as apprenticeships and recognised qualifications for a variety of professions are available;
• Free onsite car parking in Newport and Fareham;
• Cycle to work scheme
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Success Profiles Behaviour examples are not required at this stage.
In cases where there is a high number of applications the sift pass mark may be adjusted and candidates will be invited to interview in merit order, i.e. those scoring the highest.
As this role is at a variable grade HEO/SEO/Grade 7; all applications will be sifted against the lower HEO criteria, should you reach the interview stage you will be assessed against all grades and offered the highest grade at which you pass the interview process.
Should you be invited to interview, you will be assessed using various assessment techniques aligned to the new Civil Service Success Profiles, where you’ll be assessed against all the behaviours outlined in the advert.
Further information will be provided to successful candidates prior to interview.
In certain circumstances, interviews may be conducted by Video Conference.
A reserve list may be held for a period up to 12 months from which further appointments may be made.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.