In this role, you’ll be responsible for creating and managing the AA’s product roadmap, clearly linked to our strategic priorities. This is a critical role in our business, with product development central to the delivery of our vision to make UK driving life smarter and simpler.
You’ll be responsible for optimising the product roadmap through prioritisation which appropriately balances short and long-term growth, building and challenging benefits cases and measuring the outcomes of the initiatives we deliver. You’ll also be responsible for any new products we take to market – from product design through to delivery.
You’ll be the face of product development to stakeholders from across the business. You must be capable of effectively communicating your vision, influencing and inspiring, and constructively challenging preconceptions. We expect you to take a customer-centric view of our products, pushing boundaries whilst remaining pragmatic to ensure that we are able to execute against our desired roadmap. You’ll need to build strong relationships with senior stakeholders, all the way up to exec level, giving them confidence that our product strategy and roadmap is optimised to support our strategic and financial priorities.
You’ll lead a small team of product managers who are responsible for the development of new propositions. As a senior manager, you’ll lead by example. The team have varying levels of experience, and they will look to you to set the standard, just as you’ll encourage them to challenge and raise their own standards. The wellbeing of our employees is important to us, so you’ll be expected to champion and support your team.
You will work very closely with the Head of Digital Products, who will be responsible for digital features and journeys via product owners embedded in agile scrum teams.
Building strong working relationships with your peers who lead Digital Customer Experience, Development and Delivery as well as stakeholders and P&L owners across the business will be key to your success in this role.
What will I be doing?
- Create and manage an executable product roadmap, clearly linked to and balanced against customer, strategic and financial business needs.
- Create a framework for prioritisation, to enable management of the product backlog with senior stakeholders.
- Clearly articulate the product roadmap, and obtain buy-in from our people in call centres to the CEO
- Work with Head of Digital Product Delivery to ensure the product roadmap is continually optimised and delivers agreed business outcomes. Champion the use of lean principles to enable the business to extract maximum benefit from minimal build.
- Take responsibility for the end to end delivery of new products, ensuring the AA has a coherent and differentiated product set which drives future growth.
- Champion the importance of customer, business and market insight in the product development lifecycle, working closely with the marketing, research and data functions.
- Build a brilliant team culture, helping people to bring out the best in each other and inspire others
- Set best practice for the product development discipline, including business case development, reporting, customer research and developing strong effective relationships with stakeholders
- Take overall responsibility for monitoring and communicating the outcomes of our product and customer journey development, by setting, monitoring and continuously improving product KPIs. This includes ensuring we have robust forecasts in place pre-launch (business case development) and tracking in place post launch to optimise the value of delivery.
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Extensive experience of working in digital teams in large organisations
- Experience creating and managing product roadmaps for high visibility technology projects
- Can demonstrate a track record of leading fast paced digital product delivery from concept through to adoption, with evidence of customer and business benefits
- Experience of leading a team, and building a culture in which people can thrive
- Highly capable at managing stakeholders; building strong relationships which help the team to deliver
- Able to effectively influence and manage in a complex matrix organisation
- Experience with techniques such as storymapping
- Capable of coming up with creative solutions for complex problems
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple projects concurrently
- Understanding of scrum framework and agile methodologies
Education and Qualifications:
- University degree desirable
- You reflect and exhibit the AA Brand Values – Courtesy, Care, Expertise, Dynamism & Collaboration
- You’re a self-starter that takes the initiative and works well in a team
- You favour a collaborative approach that inspires people around you, including your peers and seniors
- You’ve got top notch communication skills
- You embrace change
- You’re determined and prepared to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on when required
As a valued member of our team, you’ll have access to a range of fully supported development programmes, designed to help you progress in your career with us. Whether you’re looking to grow in your current role, or learn new skills and take on greater responsibilities, we can help you build the career you’re looking for here.
We’re always looking to recognise and reward our employees for the work they do. Here are just a few of the benefits you’ll have access to, as part of our team:
- Discounted home and motor insurance
- Half price AA breakdown membership in your first year and free after 12 months, along with a 50% introductory discount off breakdown cover for 12 months for up to 5 friends/family members.
Plus, so much more!
Good conduct matters to us. Our teams are motivated by doing the right thing for both customers and colleagues, and in line with our values, we ask all our employees to act with honesty & integrity and respect for others at all times.
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from anyone regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.