The post holder will help organise a wide variety of on-line and physical events for the Public Engagement Group and the Chief Executive and Chairman`s office. Reporting to the Head of Strategic Events and Portfolio the post holder will be the main day to day contact for suppliers and stakeholders and will help manage many of the events and engagement opportunities, a log of all upcoming events and assist colleagues with planning events.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Plan and execute a variety of different physical and on-line events for the Public Engagement Group, with a particular focus on events that support the Creative Programme and Campaigns team.
- Work with the Head of Strategic Events and Portfolio to support events for, and with, the Chief Executive and Chairman.
- Liaise with Public Engagement Managers in the regions to support their regional work and advise on best practice and event procedures.
- Work with the Head of Strategic Events and sometimes independently lead different events including exhibition private views, press events, award ceremonies, dinners, launches of major projects, book launches, Parliamentary events and any other events that may arise.
- Help facilitate some of the Philanthropy team`s high profile events, and fully project manage some events on their behalf
- Liaise closely with senior staff, including the Director of Communications and Public Engagement, Chief Executive and Chairman to ensure they are consulted where appropriate and fully briefed in advance of any events they host or attend.
- Help colleagues across the group plan events and attend meetings as the events expert where necessary. Co-ordinate all staff directly involved in the event, devising staff plans and briefings.
- Develop and maintain relationships with suppliers and other organisations to bring creativity and style to events.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of setting up events including, but not limited to: researching venues, commissioning risk assessments, creating guest lists, designing and distributing invitations, managing RSVPs, organising catering, booking AV requirements, compiling speech notes and overseeing each event.
- Actively monitor and update guest lists and event plans.
- Ensure guest lists are appropriately signed off and that they are GDPR compliant.
- Financial monitoring and tracking, ensuring suppliers are paid within agreed timeframes and within budget. Raise purchase orders and contracts as needed and keep track of budgets on each project.
- Deputise for the Head of Strategic Events at programme meetings as and when required.
- Guide and advise other Departments on events
- Give general assistance and support to colleagues in Strategic Events and Portfolio and be an active member of the team.
- Ensure all relevant events output is consistent with the HE approach in terms of approach, budget and format.
- Develop and manage templates for events activity and bring together teams across Public Engagement to deliver high quality external events for both public and specialist audiences.
- Work with the Head of Strategic Events to develop and deliver high profile and well managed events.
- .Manage a calendar of event activity and liaise with colleagues on a regular basis to ensure colleagues across the organisation are kept up to date.
- .Conduct thorough evaluation of all events ensuring lessons learnt are taken forward for future programming and that KPI`s, audience targets and aims and objectives are met.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of all areas of Historic England`s work and new processes and procedures.
- Keep up with new developments and source creative inspiration within the events sector.
This is an outline description of the duties and responsibilities involved in the job. It is not exhaustive and may be revised from time to time.
With advance notice, some evening work will be required to run or attend events€
Training, experience & qualifications
- Experience of working on a variety of events
- Experience of operational management and delivery of large and small events
- Experience of working with a wide range of partners and stakeholders
- Experience of communication with and briefing senior staff
- Experience of building strategic partnerships/relationships – internally and externally.
- Excellent administration and information management skills including experience of maintaining guest lists and RSVP`s
- Experience of working within the heritage, cultural or not-for-profit sector
- Experience of quality assurance and risk management
Knowledge & skills
- Excellent planning and coordinating skills
- Strategic thinking skills
- Creative thinker with the ability to identify innovative plans and solutions
- Experience of working with budgets and payment processes
- Ability to trouble shoot and problem solve quickly under pressure.
- Expertise in data handling and data management
- Self-awareness, especially in relation to impact of behaviour on others
- Openness to making and receiving constructive criticism in pursuit of continuous improvement
- Excellent communicator – inspiring internal and external stakeholders, achieving buy-in through communicating passion, logic, insight and purpose.
- Customer-focused and a champion for all audiences.
- Strategic thinker- able balance organisational objectives and audience needs to deliver results
Provisional virtual interview date – 17th February 2022.
We are an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusion. If you have a disability or neurodiversity, we would be happy to discuss reasonable adjustments to the job with you. Having just won the Gold Award from MIND, we also recognize the importance of a healthy work-life balance.