This role attract a recruitment and retention allowance of £3,000 per annum for successful applicants who are MCIPS qualified and in a designated commercial role.
Reporting to: Senior Commercial Category Manager
Are you passionate about implementing a commercial strategy through clear and effective communications making full use of all available internal channels?
Do you thrive on delivering year on year commercial improvements?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
DVSA are transforming their Procurement and Contract Management teams and moving to a Category Management approach. The Category Management approach is recognised as best commercial practice by the Government Commercial Function (Cabinet Office), and its introduction supports a new DVSA Commercial Strategy that has been approved by the DVSA Board.
The Category Management approach means that commercial requirements will be brigaded into categories by spend and type, and managed holistically through the entire commercial cycle (pre-procurement and market engagement; procurement; and contract management and benefits realisation), resulting in improved commercial services to the business and cashable and non-cashable efficiency savings over the whole life of commercial arrangements.
As one of our Commercial Category Managers, you will provide DVSA with an exemplar commercial experience in line with Government Commercial Function best practice, supporting the Commercial Category and introducing the concept and efficiency benefits of the Category Management approach to the business.
Roles Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Executing management responsibilities effectively and in line with DVSA policies and processes.
• Providing advice on the latest developments in public sector procurement in relation to their assigned category.
• Supporting a strong commercial focus and a persuasive future vision based on the new DVSA commercial strategy.
• Adopting a Management Information (MI) regime to drive improvement.
• Supporting commercial activity across your category.
Please refer to the attached Role Profile for an in-depth view of the post
We are looking for a commercial professional who holds a good understanding and experience of the commercial cycle. You will hold a proven track record in a similar role and the following experience:
• Experience of the commercial cycle including pre-competitive supplier engagement.
• Experience of working with, analysing, presenting and explaining complex data sets using a range of Microsoft-based applications.
• Experience of operating in a category management environment with a knowledge of the principles of a category management approach.
We are committed to encouraging and enabling our staff to develop in and above their role and will support you through further development opportunities/qualifications.
For more information regarding DVSA, head over to our Blog and LinkedIn.
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) helps everyone stay safe on Britain’s roads.
We do this by helping people through a lifetime of safe driving, helping them keep their vehicles safe to drive, and protecting them from unsafe drivers and vehicles.
Our work affects millions of people and thousands of businesses. Most importantly, our work saves lives.
We’re an organisation that values professional expertise. We work in inclusive and diverse teams. Meeting the needs of the people who use our services runs through everything we do.
We have exciting plans for the next 5 years to continue making our roads safer. Join us on our journey and help us to save lives.
We are part of the Department for Transport (DfT). DfT is a great place to work, and our ‘one team’ approach really makes a difference. We value our staff and that’s why we’re committed to nurturing an inclusive environment across the Department.
You’ll be part of an innovative organisation that invests in all our people, ensuring we have the diverse skills to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future.
We welcome applications from a diverse range of backgrounds and communities, including individuals who identify as female, male, trans, non binary, disabled, black, Asian or minority ethnic etc.
Find out more about working at DVSA
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Skills and Competency Framework – Section 1 (1-5) – Pre-Market – Practitioner level 4
- Commercial Skills and Competency Framework – Section 2 (1-6) – Sourcing – Practitioner level
- Commercial Skills and Competency Framework – Section 3 (1-5) – Post Award Contract & Supplier Management – Practitioner level
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits.
– a generous annual leave entitlement,
– attractive pension options,
– flexible working,
– good career development opportunities,
– a variety of career paths,
– inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Alison Altoft
Email : Alison.Altoft@dvsa.gov.uk
Recruitment team :
Email : email@example.com\
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
HEO Commercial Category Manager Opens in new window (pdf, 385kB)
Candidate Notes Opens in new window (pdf, 823kB)
Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window (pdf, 405kB)
Commercial Skills Competency Framework October15 Below G7 Opens in new window (pdf, 452kB)