We have a fantastic opportunity at the University of Sheffield’s Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) for an enthusiastic software or engineering student to join our Integrated Manufacturing Group (IMG) on a one-year placement.
You will join our team as an Assistant Simulation and Modelling Engineer and will use your knowledge to help further the research done by this group.
As an Assistant Simulation and Modelling Engineer, you will assist the Manufacturing Intelligence (MI) Team in delivering projects aligned with industrial key challenges, in the area of Discrete Event Simulation (DES) modelling, factory flow optimisation, cost modelling, real-time simulation modelling and data analytics to support agile decision-making processes within manufacturing environment. You will support model development, write reports and conduct research on new digital technologies within the Manufacturing Intelligence theme. You will report to the relevant project manager and technical lead for the duration of each project.
- Be studying towards an operations research, software engineering or related degree,
- Be competent in at least one DES software such as Plant Simulation, Witness, Matlab and/or AnyLogic.
- Be competent in at least one programming language such as Java, C++, C# etc.
- Willing to further develop your skill in modelling, cost analysis and decision making
- Have a good understanding of manufacturing systems or business processes in principle.
- Have good organisational skills.
- Have the ability to analyse and problem solve.
This post is only suitable for students seeking placement as part of their academic studies. The placement will start in September for 12 months.
About the Team
You will be part of the AMRC Integrated Manufacturing Group which has expanded over the last 10 years to a team that totals nearly 80 members and counting. You will work as part of the Manufacturing Intelligence Group (MI) within the IMG, based up at our Factory 2050 building, delivering projects looking at DES modelling, factory flow optimisation, real-time simulation modelling and data analytics to support agile decision-making processes within a manufacturing environment. You will work with some of the world-leading companies within Aerospace, Automotive, Medical and Construction industries.