We are seeking a Assistant Inspector of Ancient Monuments to join Historic England in helping to protect some of the region`s finest archaeological remains and ancient monument, working positively with owners, applicants and heritage organizations to understand, preserve and celebrate them, and in doing so help shape thriving historic places.
This is a permanent opportunity covering Kent, Sussex and Surrey in our London & South East regional team. We are flexible on location you can be based in the London/South East Region office or home working.
What you will be doing:
As part of the London & South East Development Advice Team, you will take delegated responsibility for the delivery of Historic England`s advice on proposals for change in the historic environment that fall within their area of competence.
You will be applying the ethos of `constructive conservation` and making effective use of Conservation Principles in all your advisory work, you will provide advice to owners, local authorities and others, to proactively work towards the sustainable management of the historic environment.
You will also contribute as required to specific projects where your expertise would add value, for example as part of the Historic England Places strategy or in support of Heritage at Risk work.
Please note that the role:
- requires occasional travel to sites not serviced by public transport for which reason a full driving license is required.
- requires visiting/inspecting sites which is likely to require climbing scaffolding and negotiating confined spaces.
- may require occasional attendance at community or planning meetings which are usually held at evenings or weekends.
Who we are looking for:
- Degree in Archaeology (or close equivalent) or equivalent experience in heritage management advice
- Proven experience of managing change to archaeology and ancient monuments, including through the planning system
- A good working knowledge of all periods of archaeology and ancient monuments in England.
- Good written communication skills
- Demonstrable negotiating and problem-solving skills
We are an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusion. If you have a disability, we would be happy to discuss reasonable adjustments to the job with you. Having just won the Gold Award from MIND, we also recognize the importance of a healthy work -life balance. We offer a wide benefits package including a competitive pension scheme, a generous 28 days holiday, corporate discounts, free entry into English Heritage.
Provisional interview date; 1st September 2021
Supplementary documents: Job Description