As an Aircraft Technician (Mechanical) your job is to carry out maintenance and repair work on the airframe and propulsion systems on RAF aircraft.
- Carry out maintenance and repair work on the airframe and propulsion systems
- If you work on our helicopters, to check rotor blades, rotor heads and transmission systems and be involved in the adjustment, repair or replacement of any defective parts.
- Examine all the mechanical components, the structure of the aircraft, the engines and the associated electrical components that support these functions
TRAINING AND CAREER
TRAINING YOU’LL RECEIVE
Your career will start with 10 weeks of basic recruit training at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire. The course is designed to help you adjust to military life. As well as fitness and military training, you will also learn about the RAF lifestyle.
The next step is a specialist trade training course at the Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering at Cosford (DSAE Cosford), near Wolverhampton, which lasts approximately 16 months. This course is designed to give you an understanding of your role as an Aircraft Mechanical Technician, which includes Mechanical Engineering Hand Skills, General Aircraft Maintenance Activities, Aircraft Mechanical Control and Operating Systems, Airframe Structures, Hydraulics and Flight Control Systems, Landing Gear, Fault Finding and Off-Aircraft Maintenance, Mechanical Systems and Helicopters.. In addition to this your training will include aircraft handling and safety procedures.
- Be aged 16 – 47 years old (Must attest before 48th birthday)
- GCSE Grade C/4 or equivalent, or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/Scottish National 5 (Grade A – C) in English Language, Maths and an approved Science/Technology-based subject
- Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland, holder of dual UK/other nationality or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth
- Commit to minimum 3 years post Phase Two Training
- Pass the Airman Selection Test
- Pass a General Fitness Test
Minimum Average Pay Over Your First Year£17,000+ Benefits
Initial pay after training£18,800+ Benefits