- Salary Range £15,000+
- EDUCATION LEVEL GCSE/O level/GNVQ
- Job Level Entry level
As an aircraft engineering specialist, you will be trained to carry out maintenance and repair work on the sophisticated electronic and avionics onboard RAF aircraft such as radar, aircraft flight control systems, image and data acquisition and plenty more.
You will maintain the aircraft electrical generation and distribution systems that provide power for the electronic systems on RAF aircraft. On top of that, you will also maintain onboard weapon management systems that allow aircrew to select, arm and release aircraft weapons. There are also opportunities to take on instructional duties or work within a software development organisation
TRAINING AND CAREER
Your career will start with 10 weeks of basic recruit training at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire. The course is designed to help you adjust to military life. As well as fitness and military training, you will also learn about the RAF lifestyle.
The next step is a specialist trade training course at the Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering at Cosford (DSAE Cosford), near Wolverhampton, which lasts approximately 15 months. This course is designed to give you an understanding of your role as an Aircraft Avionics Technician, which includes aerodynamics, electronic and electrical fundamentals, digital fundamentals, hand skills, avionic maintenance practice, avionic systems and integrated avionics systems. In addition to this your training will include aircraft handling and safety procedures.
- Be aged 16 – 47 years old (Must attest before 48th birthday)
- GCSE Grade C/4-5 or equivalent, or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/Scottish National 5 (Grade A – C) in English, Maths and an approved Science/Technology-based subject
- Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland, holder of dual UK/other nationality
- Commit to minimum 3 years post Phase Two Training
- Pass the Airman Selection Test
- Pass a General Fitness Test
Minimum Average Pay: Over Your First Year£17,000+ Benefits
Initial pay :after training£18,800+ Benefits